Select to view content in your preferred language

Some PDFs have inline embedding options, others don't

Jump to solution
02-01-2022 03:27 PM
kentopanini
New Contributor II

Whenever I link (https) a PDF using Embed, the card option works but not the inline embedding. The option is grayed out and when I hover over it, it says "This content doesn't support inline embedding."

I've seen StoryMaps use inline embedding for PDFs. When I use their PDF link for my StoryMap, the inline embedding option is available. 

I'm assuming something about that PDF worked for embedding but something about mine doesn't. 

PDF that worked: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ys7yOKHLXe4XHlGhVjaj2j45UEo58_WO/preview

Sample not working PDF: https://www.eastwestcenter.org/sites/default/files/filemanager/Research_pdfs/Hawaii%20and%20the%20US...

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MichaelBruening -- We aren't able to relax web security requirements for certain websites. But please be aware, content hosted on any website can easily be allowed for embedding as long as the web server complies with some basic common web security practices.

Please review the FAQ I linked to above in this thread for the technical information that you can provide to your IT department so they can do this for the PDFs on your website.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@kentopanini -- PDFs, as well as other content from the web, must adhere to specific security protocols in order to be shown inside another web page. If the story builder does not detect the proper configuration, you will only see an option to show the PDF as a card (which is simply a nice looking link that lets your readers open the PDF in a new browser tab).

If the PDF is hosted on someone else's server, you don't really have any control over whether they allow it to be embedded or not. In that case, you can link to the PDF as a hyperlink within the text of your story or show it as a card (which you can customize as you like).

If the PDF is on your own organization's server, you can talk with your IT staff and try to get the PDF configured properly so it can be embedded. The requirements are in our documentation here: Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MichaelBruening
Occasional Contributor

I have a very particular instance where this doesn't add up. I have a StoryMap that was created in Mid November of 2021 that I stopped working on and just allowed it to be an archived copy that was "not" published.

I had created a copy of this StoryMap that I would go onto finish out as a published "public" StoryMap. I had embedded both a website and a PDF file from a US government based website. They both worked flawlessly until about a month ago beginning of January. I started receiving a message that stated "This content doesn't support inline embedding."

However, the strange thing is that I can open up the "archived/unpublished" version of the StoryMap and the PDF file displays when you look at it within the editor? This leads me to believe there has been some sort of change the underlying coding within the StoryMap compiler; is this correct?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MichaelBruening - That's correct; changes were recently made in this area.

We are constantly reviewing industry web security standards and policies and updating ArcGIS StoryMaps with the latest recommendations and best practices. Some PDFs that may have been embeddable previously may no longer be after the recent changes we made.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MichaelBruening
Occasional Contributor

Would there be a chance that ESRI would consider allowing some of the Governmental based/ran website to be enabled? It would be extremely helpful and beneficial to have the ability to have some of these embedded directly inline within the StoryMap. The idea of less clicks are better for the reader/user of the web based content. 

For instance the USFWS website is not allowed to show inline content, but it would be extremely helpful to allow it. There are a few others that relate to T&E species that would be helpful as well.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MichaelBruening -- We aren't able to relax web security requirements for certain websites. But please be aware, content hosted on any website can easily be allowed for embedding as long as the web server complies with some basic common web security practices.

Please review the FAQ I linked to above in this thread for the technical information that you can provide to your IT department so they can do this for the PDFs on your website.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos