Shared Story Maps/Publishing

06-20-2020 01:32 PM
KathyCarroll
New Contributor II

How does one avoid the entire organization's content showing up in the Shared With Me section in StoryMaps?  When students publish an individual StoryMap, it shows up in the account of every student & teacher in the school.  I've been a part of other organizations where this doesn't happen.  I know it must be an admin setting, but I can't seem to find a good tutorial to help me figure out how to understand how the Organization settings side.  I'd like to use this platform more widely at my school, but I need to keep the shared content organized.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kathy -- Thanks for your question. At this time, there's no setting to alter what's shown in the Shared with me tab. This is the place where authors go to browse and search stories/collection published by others in their organization. 

Can you please provide a little more information about why you'd like the Shared with me tab to behave differently? What additional capabilities for organizing content would you like to see? How would you like to keep stories and collections organized?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
KathyCarroll
New Contributor II

I teach in a K-8 school, and we currently have ArcGIS accounts for 5-8th grade students. During Virtual Learning I helped another 5th grade teacher adapt his traditional Greek Wax Museum project for distanced learning using StoryMaps to create a Virtual Museum<https://arcg.is/19TPav>. I used StoryMaps as a way to guide students through lessons each day. And, I’d like to expand the use of StoryMaps in my school to use it in more sophisticated ways as well.

The issue is that if one teacher at each grade level uses StoryMaps for student produced work twice a year, that ends up populating the Shared With Me feature with over 400 individual StoryMaps (and we are a small school). Students in 5th grade are wading through hundreds of projects from students in other grades that they don’t need to see. And, if a teacher wants to use StoryMaps as a professional presentation tool, he or she might not necessarily want students to have access to that work.

I wish there were a way to either organize content into folders or have some intermediary level where you could make what you’ve created not necessarily visible within Shared With Me to the entire organization but still visible to the larger world (making publishing to group feature still a live URL). I am thinking is like how Unlisted video content is handled on YouTube. My instructional videos aren’t visible on my public facing feed, but I can still share them if I choose to share the URL.

StoryMaps has a lot of potential for greater use in educational settings. Having a better understanding of the UE in educational settings from an administrative, educator and student perspective might help to smooth the transition.

Kathy Carroll

World History

Social Studies Vertical Team Leader

St. John’s Episcopal School

848 Harter Road

Dallas, TX 75218

214-328-9131

www.stjohnsschool.org<http://www.stjohnsschool.org/>

www.weavingourstory.org<http://www.weavingourstory.org/>

<http://www.stjohnsschool.org/>

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kathy -- I'd suggest you take a look at Collections. Collections are a way for you and your colleagues to group together sets of stories (but you can also include other things such as ArcGIS apps, PDFs, images, etc.), just as you described above.

Check out this blog for more info: Start your first ArcGIS StoryMaps collection 

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KathyCarroll
New Contributor II

Thanks, Owen. I am familiar with Collections. It was a game changer when it rolled out in its ability to connect multiple maps into one cohesive package. It solved a huge problem I was encountering last summer when I was using the first version of StoryMaps to produce a digital exhibit from existing content. I was able to use Collections to weave together the six DC neighborhoods in the Smithsonian SM collection featured on StoryMaps Live in April.

What I am running into in transferring that experience to producing the Greek Wax Project (as a Collection) in a school setting. The practical aspects I detailed below about overwhelming the organization (and students) with content is a concern when using the tool more widely in an educational context.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Kathy -- Thanks for the additional feedback. Also, we do have a ticket in our backlog to look at the challenge you've described above. I'll link this thread to that request. Thanks again for providing some nice use cases and details. 

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KathyCarroll
New Contributor II

Thanks, Owen. StoryMaps is such a great platform, and I can see so many ways that it could be really powerful tool in the hands of student creators.

Do you have suggestions for an getting started guide, online classes or other helpful resources that explain the back-end functionality of ESRI account management for new users/administrators? I am learning as I go.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kathy, the following might be helpful for demystifying some of the account management process! 

KathyCarroll
New Contributor II

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for these resources!

0 Kudos