Share a Storymap Theme

Jump to solution
09-24-2020 03:05 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I created a theme with colors and fonts for my org, and shared it globally.  But my colleagues don't see it.  How do I set up a story map theme so others in my org can use it?

That should just about do it....
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Joe,

It's great to hear you're already trying out the new theme builder (beta) for ArcGIS StoryMaps! Please see the note in the announcement blog about your first question:

Something to be aware of is themes are currently only available to their creators. That means you can (for now) only use themes you’ve created. But don’t worry, we know a big advantage of themes is sharing them, and we’re working on providing the ability to use themes created by others in the near future.

Regarding the second question about the organization's shared theme: the story theme is not connected with the shared theme at this time, but we're looking into ways to do that as well. Can you give us an idea of how you'd like that to work so we can get an idea of your expectations?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

quick Dr Google

Using Your Organization’s Shared Theme in Story Maps 

If it is your .... Retire Early ... Joe's How to Guide ....  maybe management took it down 

... sort of retired...
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Saw that, but it seems to apply to the vintage 2017 story maps.  I'll check again and see if it applies to the newer version I'm  using.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The link Dan Pattersonprovides directs you here: Introducing Shared Theme: a new app styling capability in ArcGIS Online and it's an AGOL administrator task to set the theme up there for the organization

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Following Configure general settings—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation I set up and save an organizational theme:

etc etc...

That same page notes:

Specify the brand colors and logo (if needed) that you want to apply to Web AppBuilder apps, supported ArcGIS Configurable Apps templates, story maps created with classic Esri Story Maps, and Open Data sites created by members of your organization. To specify colors, click Manage shared theme colors and set the colors for your headers, buttons, and body. A contrast ratio appears for the shared theme colors you specify. Contrast ratio is a measure of legibility based on WCAG 2.1 accessibility standards; a contrast ratio of 4.5 is recommended to adhere to these standards.   and ...Currently, most classic Story Maps and other configurable apps support Shared theme.

I'm not sure how this theme works, or how the user accesses it when creating an app, in particular the latest issue of story maps...

Ian Wittenmyer

Owen Evans

Kelly Gerrow

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Joe,

It's great to hear you're already trying out the new theme builder (beta) for ArcGIS StoryMaps! Please see the note in the announcement blog about your first question:

Something to be aware of is themes are currently only available to their creators. That means you can (for now) only use themes you’ve created. But don’t worry, we know a big advantage of themes is sharing them, and we’re working on providing the ability to use themes created by others in the near future.

Regarding the second question about the organization's shared theme: the story theme is not connected with the shared theme at this time, but we're looking into ways to do that as well. Can you give us an idea of how you'd like that to work so we can get an idea of your expectations?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thank you for the clarification Owen Evans.  The split between storymaps.arcgis.com and arcgis.com (agol) has always been more than a little gray to me, as logically I seem them as one in the same.  My organization deploys story maps quite a bit; personally I quit using Power Point for presentations some time ago opting for some flavor of Story Maps.  I try to use the latest greatest version though.  My expectations then would be to marry the two platforms, Story Maps and AGOL so they are seamless with respect themes and templates.  Make sense?

KBERG_EGLE
New Contributor III

Has this sharing with organization functionality been added yet? My organization can't use my themes, but I have a note for a theme I created that says "This theme can be viewed by everyone"..But nobody else but the owner can see it or access it. What is that referring to if not sharing themes with the organization?

UPDATE 4/12/2021: This functionality has been added. Check out this article on how to: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/story-maps/constituent-engagement/managing-approved-storym...

PaigeGebhardt
New Contributor II

Hi Owen, any update on when we will be able to share themes with others? In my organization, our web administrator would like to share an organization theme she created. It would help us follow organization standards for web content.

Tags (2)
swoiak
by
New Contributor III

How do we remove the default themes from our organization? I've set up approved themes, but authors need to go find those. I'd like one of my themes to be the default option and only that approved group available.