Saving Images from a StoryMap

Jump to solution
04-23-2021 08:02 AM
LindsayG
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I have a cascade story map that I have loaded pictures in a gallery.  I can click on each to see them enlarged, which is great.  But when I "right click - save image" it doesn't allow me to save the image.  I would like people to be able to save some colouring sheets, so this functionality would be handy.  I currently get a "failed - network error".  I've tried uploading .png and .jpg and both do not work.  Am I doing something wrong or maybe does the SM not function this way?

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/acab735b77cd46fbbd3837c0977c6b1f

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@LindsayG --That is expected. Many authors do not want readers to be able to easily download images from their stories.

If you have a need to do this, you can upload your images somewhere else (either as individual image items in ArcGIS or to another file storage provider like Google Drive) and add a download link for your images within the story. You could use the browser developer tools to find the URLs for each image resource file and use those to create download links in your story.

I'd also recommend giving ArcGIS StoryMaps a try. It is a much more modern storytelling tool and can do almost everything that the classic Cascade template did.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

@LindsayG we find that some people at our university want the capability you describe, while others like the current model for the reason @OwenGeo describes. The latter want the extra hurdles there to discourage people from taking their images and potentially using them without honoring the licensing or attribution desires of the story's author. So it's hard to pick a "correct" single behavior that would please everyone at the moment.

Meanwhile, as a workaround, users reading your story can "right click - copy image". Then, on a Mac, they can use Preview, File --> New from Clipboard, and save it. Or, on Windows, they can use Paint, and paste the copied image and save it. Perhaps it would work to include instructions like those in the gallery caption for your colouring sheets.

(@OwenGeo the link in the post goes to an ArcGIS StoryMap, rather than a Classic one. I expect the mention of Cascade in the title is a mistake.)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@LindsayG --That is expected. Many authors do not want readers to be able to easily download images from their stories.

If you have a need to do this, you can upload your images somewhere else (either as individual image items in ArcGIS or to another file storage provider like Google Drive) and add a download link for your images within the story. You could use the browser developer tools to find the URLs for each image resource file and use those to create download links in your story.

I'd also recommend giving ArcGIS StoryMaps a try. It is a much more modern storytelling tool and can do almost everything that the classic Cascade template did.

Owen Evans
LindsayG
New Contributor II

Thank you!  Much appreciated... will definitely make some adjustments.

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

@LindsayG we find that some people at our university want the capability you describe, while others like the current model for the reason @OwenGeo describes. The latter want the extra hurdles there to discourage people from taking their images and potentially using them without honoring the licensing or attribution desires of the story's author. So it's hard to pick a "correct" single behavior that would please everyone at the moment.

Meanwhile, as a workaround, users reading your story can "right click - copy image". Then, on a Mac, they can use Preview, File --> New from Clipboard, and save it. Or, on Windows, they can use Paint, and paste the copied image and save it. Perhaps it would work to include instructions like those in the gallery caption for your colouring sheets.

(@OwenGeo the link in the post goes to an ArcGIS StoryMap, rather than a Classic one. I expect the mention of Cascade in the title is a mistake.)

LindsayG
New Contributor II

Thanks Peter... I appreciate your feedback.  And yes, my wording was a mistake.  It's Friday 🙂

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@PeterKnoop -- Thanks for the extra info and observation! I modified my comment above and the title of the post. Have a good weekend!

Owen Evans
DanielMabie
New Contributor

Can I just say this is still an issue. If you are hosting your files on ESRI, and being charged for the data storage, it's pretty wild to me to think that doesn't come with the ability to easily redownload the items you might have already uploaded and saved for editing purposes. This needs to be implemented - it is a basic function, either as a blanket storymap toggle, or by the item toggle.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DanielMabie - There is an easy to use, free utility called ArcGIS Assistant that you can use to browse and download file resources for items you have access to in your ArcGIS account. Check it out here: https://assistant.esri-ps.com/

There are also image editing tools in the story builder that might help you avoid having to download, modify, and re-add your images. Just hover over click the pencil button to access these tools. You can crop to various shapes and markup your images as well.

I hope you find these helpful!

Owen Evans
0 Kudos