Poor performance for uploaded videos in new Story Maps

Jump to solution
09-11-2020 04:18 PM
KellenGorman
New Contributor

Hi everyone, 

When the new Story Map templates came out with support for videos loaded as content into sidecars, they worked very well. This summer, directly uploading the video to the story map in .MP4 format works as expected, but it's as if the video isn't processing correctly. Now, I'm experiencing poor performance with videos optimally compressed, and well well below the 50MB limit. 

The videos will ultimately load, but the buffering times are extremely long and unpredictable.

Has anybody else experienced this bug?

Thanks!

KG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kellen Gorman‌ - Video performance depends on many factors, and as the size of the video file increases you and/or your readers may see slowness depending on their network connection.

If the performance of your uploaded videos is not sufficient I would recommend that you host them on a 3rd party service that is optimizes for the delivery of video on the web such as Vimeo, Wistia, YouTube, or others that are available. You can then add those videos to your story via URL using the "link" tab.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kellen Gorman‌ - Video performance depends on many factors, and as the size of the video file increases you and/or your readers may see slowness depending on their network connection.

If the performance of your uploaded videos is not sufficient I would recommend that you host them on a 3rd party service that is optimizes for the delivery of video on the web such as Vimeo, Wistia, YouTube, or others that are available. You can then add those videos to your story via URL using the "link" tab.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos