map Tour>Connect to Data (beta) Feature layer - Point feature layer not visible

Jump to solution
03-03-2021 10:34 AM
Albarr
by
New Contributor II

@OwenGeo ...

In the most recent storymaps release (2/21), the user can now CONNECT TO DATA via the Map Tour module and pull in a point feature layer. 

When i attempt to connect to a point feature layer in my content, the feature layer is not visible. I've contacted support and my case manager was unaware that this new functionality existed (fyi). 

The feature layer is also not viewable in arcgisonline when user takes this path:

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If yes, is there a solution or workaround or is this a bug and if the last is there an eta?

We are embarking on building out a suite of tours and being able to pull the data in using a feature layer will save us innumerable hours of work -we are excited to use this functionality.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Albarr -- I just realized that your feature layer may have a source that is a feature collection, which is not supported by the data-driven tour. Feature collections do not have the ability to store image attachments, so they aren't terribly useful for map tours.

You'll need to use a feature layer that has a source that is a feature service for your tours.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello @Albarr! I'm glad you are excited about this new feature. I'm not quite sure I understand the issue you are having. It sounds like you might be trying to make a tour from a feature class that doesn't have any points in it yet? Is that correct? If so, this is not the expected use of this feature. 

The feature service you use to create the tour should already have place data in it. Note that this is a one-way workflow. This means that the tour data is not editable within the story builder if you use a feature service. The tour simply reflects the data that's already in the tour. If the data is updated, the story reflects the new data the next time the story is loaded.

If you want to create your tour places in the story builder, use one of the other options for creating a tour (start from scratch or upload photos).

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Albarr
by
New Contributor II

Hi -thanks for the quick feedback. Sorry my question was not clear. I do have a feature layer comprised of point data created.  It’s in my organization’s arcgis online content folder. It’s not visible though when I seek to access it through the map tour>connect to arcgis data. I enclose screenshot of the view in argis content folder and inthe storymap connect to data view.

The functionality of manipulating the data in arcgis online and having it 1-way into the storymap environment is exactly what is desired. thanks!

@OwenGeo 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

That is very odd. Are you sure you are signed in with the same account in both cases? If the feature service is owned by another account, it would be available in the My Organization tab (rather than the My Content tab).

If you are signed in with the same account and you don't see the feature service I'd recommend that you please contact Esri Technical Support and they will be able to help you troubleshoot further.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Albarr
by
New Contributor II

Thanks. I am the sole user on our account and created the feature layer and the storymap (I did also check organization tab for the layer). I have opened a case with Technical Support. Thank you.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Albarr -- I just realized that your feature layer may have a source that is a feature collection, which is not supported by the data-driven tour. Feature collections do not have the ability to store image attachments, so they aren't terribly useful for map tours.

You'll need to use a feature layer that has a source that is a feature service for your tours.

Owen Evans
Albarr
by
New Contributor II

Bam, that is the issue - it's saved as a feature collection. I need to get that layer data converted! Thank you for resolving, I will also let tech support on my case know. And get their guidance of setting up my layer correctly.

Thank you @OwenGeo 

0 Kudos