Mailto links

Jump to solution
10-14-2019 11:53 AM
PatrickJankanish
New Contributor II

Will we be given the option to create mailto links in ArcGIS StoryMaps?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Link protocols mailto: and tel: are now supported as of the most recent release of ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Link protocols mailto: and tel: are now supported as of the most recent release of ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
ahagopian_coj
Occasional Contributor

Hello!  I am attempting to do this in the new Story Maps but I can't get it to work. It just opens the story map again in a new tab.  When I inspect the button the mailto: is missing.  How do I add and get story maps to keep the mailto: when I edit the button?  It only allows me to enter in text when I click on the pencil.  I have tried just enter in the mailto: and entering in the href syntax but neither sticks.  Below is what I tried. I have changed the target email address to a test one just for this post.

First attempt: mailto:pickles@testemail.com

2nd attempt: <a href="mailto:pickles@testemail.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener" class="jsx-1882328597 button-viewer jsx-2753964512">Try it!</a>

3rd attempt: <a href="mailto:pickles@testemail.com?subject=Feedback" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener" class="jsx-1882328597 button-viewer jsx-2753964512">Click here to email your feedback</a>

0 Kudos
ahagopian_coj
Occasional Contributor

I can't get this to work. Is there an article or blog that has a step by step instructions?  I entered in the mailto:someone@testemail.com and all it does is open another copy of the story map in a new tab.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @ahagopian_coj - I'm sorry this is not working for you. From your description, it sounds like you aren't actually saving the link. Are you hitting ENTER after entering the last character?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
TPB_COGGIS_Team
New Contributor III

I cannot use the mailto: in the credits section as in previous version of Story Map, like the Cascade template. Will this be updated in the future? I am not a fan of things previously supported being taken away.

Right now it automatically adds the https:// so my mailto: code does not work. I would like to have this info in the credit as part of the overall story info-- I am not terribly interested in using a button a separate text line but I guess I will have to if this cannot be achieved. 

thx

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

This is supported in ArcGIS StoryMaps, but a known bug that was introduced recently is preventing it from working as expected. Please see this thread for more information.

Adding mailto: to the Content/ Attribution area - Esri Community

Owen Evans
0 Kudos