Editing embed code

Jump to solution
03-02-2022 09:27 PM
AlexFeuchtwanger
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've embedded some content in a StoryMap and now I want to edit the code I used. But when I click on that block in the builder it only seems to give me options to change it's appearance, not to actually edit the original code. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

This is a technical limitation. If you need to make a change to an embed, you must reinsert the embed with the updated link/code. If it's helpful/needed, you can copy the current code from the Properties panel in the Embed/Card options.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.06.03 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

This is a technical limitation. If you need to make a change to an embed, you must reinsert the embed with the updated link/code. If it's helpful/needed, you can copy the current code from the Properties panel in the Embed/Card options.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 7.06.03 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AlexFeuchtwanger
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen. Is the ability to edit embeds something that could be added in future?

I'm also finding that embeds that initially have the option to display inline change to having that option greyed out when I reload the StoryMap. Do you know why that might be?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AlexFeuchtwanger -- We don't have editing embed code as something we're prioritizing right now. It's not something we believe most authors need to do very often, and if it is needed it's relatively easy to simply re-add the embed using the new code/link. There are also some technical considerations which we'd have to work through to successfully implement this feature that prevent it from being quick and easy to implement.

If this is something that you'd like to see in a future update I'd encourage you to please add it as an idea on our ideas board along with information about how it will provide value for you and your organization so others can upvote it and weigh in on it's importance.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AlexFeuchtwanger -- the other item you mentioned about embeds losing the ability to be shown live is a bug that we believe we addressed in last week's release.

Are you still experiencing that issue? If so, can you please provide the URL so we can take a look?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AlexFeuchtwanger
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen yes that does seem to be fixed thank you!

And yes to be fair, with that bug gone, there isn't much need to be able to edit embed code!

0 Kudos
AlexFeuchtwanger
New Contributor II

I spoke too soon... Maritime Monthly (arcgis.com)

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

That story is not shared publicly, so we can't see it. If you are unable to share the story with Everyone, please contact Esri Support and they can continue to help you with this issue.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos