Select to view content in your preferred language

Image Gallery in StoryMaps

Jump to solution
07-25-2024 10:36 PM
Labels (3)
InformationResources1
New Contributor III

I'm working on a StoryMaps project and am looking to enhance user navigation within the story. Specifically, I'm inquiring whether it's possible to link an image in the image gallery to a particular section within a Sidecar. The goal is for readers to click on an image in the gallery and be directed to a specific section of the Sidecar.

Currently, I have managed to achieve the following:

• I have several images in the Image gallery section. The Image options includes a feature (Image link) which allows each image to be linked to a specific URL.
  • In the Image link I have included the section link retrieved from the header of the Sidecar; i.e. each image in my gallery is linked to a specific section of the Sidecar.
  • Upon clicking on the image, a new tab opens for the readers, directing them to the specific section of the Sidecar.

To improve user experience, is it possible to replicate such steps without the need to open a new tab for the reader? That is, upon clicking on the image, the reader is directed to the related section of the sidecar within the same tab.

Any guidance, tips, or examples would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @InformationResources1 ,

We don't allow image gallery hyperlinks to be opened in the same tab. This is something we are looking to add in the future as an enhancement. I'd recommend adding your Kudos to this existing Ideas post to show your interest in the addition of that functionality.

For your specific example, I haven't heard of people using their story heading links as the image hyperlinks, cool idea! The other place I know where you can currently add a link within the story is the button. If you add a header link from the same story, it will scroll down to that point in the story. I know that isn't connected to the images itself, though. Additionally, you can add header links in the image captions. At the moment, you can only caption the image gallery itself, but we are planning on allowing individual captions to images within the gallery in the coming months. I can let you know here when that feature is released!

--Abby

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @InformationResources1 ,

We don't allow image gallery hyperlinks to be opened in the same tab. This is something we are looking to add in the future as an enhancement. I'd recommend adding your Kudos to this existing Ideas post to show your interest in the addition of that functionality.

For your specific example, I haven't heard of people using their story heading links as the image hyperlinks, cool idea! The other place I know where you can currently add a link within the story is the button. If you add a header link from the same story, it will scroll down to that point in the story. I know that isn't connected to the images itself, though. Additionally, you can add header links in the image captions. At the moment, you can only caption the image gallery itself, but we are planning on allowing individual captions to images within the gallery in the coming months. I can let you know here when that feature is released!

--Abby

InformationResources1
New Contributor III

Hi Abby,

Thank you for the update! We would appreciate if you could inform us here when the feature is release 🙂

Have a nice day!

Sergio

0 Kudos