Embedding Soundcloud files in a sidecar displays only as a card

Jump to solution
03-25-2020 09:12 AM
DavidGOREN
New Contributor

In October I created a Storymap for a presentation using primarily sidecars. In the side column I embedded a number of Soundcloud files and they played as expected. It's now March and I've gone back to that project and have found that the embeds display only as a card even on a 27" screen. (...and I've selected the larger display in the option dropdown box) I've tried replacing the files, experimented on a new Storymap and the embeds seem to display as cards only in the side panel no matter what I do. Did something in the code change to prevent embeds in a Sidecar side panel to display as anything other than cards?

In a related question, what's the roadmap for adding soundfiles that are not embeds? Even when the embeds work I can't seem to control the size of the player...if embedded in a main panel (not the side panel of a sidecar) the embedded Soundcloud player is huge. (When they were displaying correctly in the side column they were acceptable in size, but would prefer an option that could control the size) My project involves a lot of sound files and I would like to see an option to display them more subtly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi David -- I'm sorry you've noticed something unexpected with your story. Embeds that are images, videos, or other rich content should have the option to show as live content in the sidecar narrative panel.

I just re-tested a Soundcloud audio clip and was able to reproduce the issue you reported. We'll fix this in our update that's coming in a few weeks.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi David -- I'm sorry you've noticed something unexpected with your story. Embeds that are images, videos, or other rich content should have the option to show as live content in the sidecar narrative panel.

I just re-tested a Soundcloud audio clip and was able to reproduce the issue you reported. We'll fix this in our update that's coming in a few weeks.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
DavidGOREN
New Contributor

That's great to hear Owen. Thanks for looking into this and I will look forward to the update!

0 Kudos