Editing by Multiple People

Jump to solution
07-17-2019 09:38 AM
ShanaCrosson2
New Contributor III

Having fun playing with the new StoryMap builder! 

We're testing how it works to share with a group so multiple people can edit a map. I shared a map to a Group, but the other members weren't able to edit it. Is the functionality the same as with the classic StoryMaps? (I did Publish the StoryMap and shared with Update and access capabilities.)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Shana/Elizabeth -- The new ArcGIS StoryMaps doesn't support group editing just yet, but we plan to add features for collaborating on stories in the future. For now, only admins and members in a custom role with the administrative privilege to update all items in the organization can edit someone else's story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

28 Replies
ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

I have the same exact problem. Admin created the group, member created story map, added other members and all update capabilities. Members can see the storymap but can not edit. We've reviewed all settings and can not come up with a reason it wouldn't work. Although I will say as the Admin, I can edit the shared item.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Shana/Elizabeth -- The new ArcGIS StoryMaps doesn't support group editing just yet, but we plan to add features for collaborating on stories in the future. For now, only admins and members in a custom role with the administrative privilege to update all items in the organization can edit someone else's story.

Owen Evans
ShanaCrosson2
New Contributor III

Owen - Thank you for a speedy response and for all the work you and your team are doing! 

0 Kudos
JonathanFleming
New Contributor III

Use of these story maps for collaborative group projects will have to be scrapped for now.  This is incredibly frustrating when Group settings in ArcGIS Online clearly state that "Members can update all items, including changing the item's description and content."  Please add a disclaimer that story maps are not included in this blanket statement. 

At least now I know...

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Jonathan Fleming,

I apologize this has frustrated you; however, my last reply in this thread was from July. Below is the latest information...

This is supported now as of the September 2019 ArcGIS Online release. The workflow is not straight forward yet, but here are the steps to accomplish what you're looking to do:

1. Have an admin create a group with update capabilities with the required members
  2. Go to the group page and click on the Content tab
  3. Click Add item to group and add a story to the group
  4. Provide the story link to other group members (e.g., https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/[storyID])
  5. When group members access the story while logged in, they will see the Edit button in the header allowing them to open the story builder

Later this month, in the next ArcGIS Online release, the Configure button will appear on the story's item page for the group members that have update access. This will make things much easier and will eliminate the need to manually create/share a link to the story (step 4, above). Group members will be able to simply browse to the story item in ArcGIS and open the builder by clicking Configure.

In the future (later in 2020), we plan to make this process even easier by providing tools to collaborate on stories within ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Owen Evans
ShanaCrosson2
New Contributor III

Owen - thank you so much for this info. I hadn't tested using this process for Groups, and it's very helpful for planning to know what's coming. We have had good success with using the new builder with student assignments, and this group edit process will allow us to use it with more classes. Thanks!

JonathanFleming
New Contributor III

Thanks Owen Evans! This is good to know.

MarinaGeo
New Contributor II

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the information.

My question is regarding simultaneous editing: is there anything that controls/prevents the loss of changes produced by a second user who is editing at the same time as first user?

Many thanks,

Marina

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Marina -- No there is not. This is documented here. We recommend the process of having multiple authors work on the same be managed carefully. We're looking into additional tools and notifications for the future.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos