displaying labels in Map Viewer from more than one layer at the same extent

Jump to solution
06-21-2021 02:30 AM
GIS_TeamShropshire
New Contributor II

I've a Storymap using grid polygons, and have 2 layers for which I have created labels in the map within ArcGIS Online Map Viewer (-currently using MV Classic): a UK Grid Reference layer with its label displaying to 'Town' level, and a Species layer with a Count value per Grid square displaying from 'Town' onwards.

At a certain small range - probably 'Town' to 'Neighborhood', say - I would like to display both the GridRef and the Count, one positioned above the other. Is there a way to achieve this via Map Viewer or indeed ArcMap (-we're using 10.4.1 to publish the layers) ?

I thought the key to this was to simply ensure that the GridRef label was positioned at the top-center of its polygon, and the Count middle-center of its square, ie GridRef would always display above the other at the extents where both were to display: I have tried to achieve this by using the 'Internal Zones' option within ArcMap's Label Placement Properties but without success. And I cannot see any positioning settings available within 'Manage labels' in the Map Viewer Classic, so I guess that this has to be configured within ArcMap.

Is there a simpler way to achieve this ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @GIS_TeamShropshire -- This isn't necessarily a StoryMap question, so I think you may have better luck getting advice on this by posting on one of the mapping community boards. Whatever your map looks like in the map viewer, you'll see the same thing when you add it to a story.

On piece of advice from the StoryMaps perspective is that I'd recommend using the new Map Viewer to create your map since there are a few minor compatibility differences with maps created in the older Classic Map Viewer.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @GIS_TeamShropshire -- This isn't necessarily a StoryMap question, so I think you may have better luck getting advice on this by posting on one of the mapping community boards. Whatever your map looks like in the map viewer, you'll see the same thing when you add it to a story.

On piece of advice from the StoryMaps perspective is that I'd recommend using the new Map Viewer to create your map since there are a few minor compatibility differences with maps created in the older Classic Map Viewer.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
GIS_TeamShropshire
New Contributor II

Thanks, Owen: based on a number of ESRI / ArcGIS articles I've read, I've concluded that it isn't possible to achieve what I want for a polygon, only points or lines. I will close / accept.

0 Kudos