Display line features on the new stories

10-30-2019 07:04 PM
ThomasKakatsakis
New Contributor II

I am creating a story map with the new stories, and have added a map I created on ArcGIS online. The point features of the map show up within my story, but the line features will not display. How can I get my lines appear and integrate them into my story? Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Thomas - That behavior is certainly not expected. Can you share the map with everyone and post the link here so someone can take a look at troubleshoot the issue? If you're not able to share the map you can contact Esri Support and they can assist you.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
ThomasKakatsakis
New Contributor II

My story can be seen at ArcGIS StoryMaps 

The map being displayed can be seen here https://arcg.is/8yiTj 

I am trying to add the feature title "LINE FEATURE TO BE DISPLAYED", but this and other line features will not show up within the story maps despite showing up on ArcGIS online. 

Thanks for replying.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Thomas -- From the looks of it, I believe that's a GPX or KML layer. Currently, those types of layers are not supported in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps. We expect this to be addressed within the next few months.

The technical explanation for this is that the new ArcGIS StoryMaps is built on the 4.x version of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript while the map viewer on arcgis.com is based on the 3.x version. Some layer types supported in 3.x are not yet supported in the new 4.x version. That's why the layers appear when you view the map on arcgis.com, but they don't show up in the storymap. 

As a workaround you could add your map to a configurable app template like basic viewer or minimalist and then add that to your story. We plan to release an update in a few days that will enable embedding apps in a sidecar media panel.

Owen Evans
ThomasKakatsakis
New Contributor II

Hi Owen -- Thanks again for the reply. I was able to display my GPX layers in web app templates, but I am unable to add the apps to the new Story maps. There is no option to include these apps even within the sidecar as you mentioned. 

Is there any other work around in order for me to display these feature in my Story Map? What I am trying to create requires line features to make sense. 

I have tried uploading the line features instead as a GeoJson or as a Shapefile. However I always get the error "unable to import this shapefile/geojson file". I believe this is because the files are invalid but I am unsure how to fix this problem. 

Alternatively, is there a time frame for a future update which would support GPX layers, or an update which can add apps to the story map?

Thank you

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thomas -- You can add any ArcGIS app to your story, including in the media panel of a sidecar, using the Embed option. See this article for more information: Enrich your story maps with embedded web content 

Owen Evans
0 Kudos