Dashboard reloads after every scroll

Jump to solution
12-22-2021 10:42 AM
StefanSchnitzhofer
New Contributor III

Hello all,

I have created a story map (new version) with a dashboard embedded. Everything is working fine so far. The only thing, that is really annoying, is that the dashboard reloads every time I scroll down/up and go back to the dashboard. Reloading always takes time and is not understandable for the user.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

This does not happen within an ArcGIS site. Here, once the dashboard is loaded, it does not reload after scrolling.

Thanks in advance for any hint!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@StefanSchnitzhofer - This is expected behavior. Unfortunately, web pages simply can't keep every piece of content on the page (especially "heavy" content like embedded mapping apps) loaded in memory because it would overload the browser resources and cause the page to crash. For that reason, the StoryMap progressively loads content within the viewport (and a little above and below) and unloads it as a reader scrolls away.

If you anticipate your readers will need to refer to your dashboard multiple times while using your story, I would recommend including a link and/or directions to open the dashboard in a new browser tab so readers can switch to the other tab to see the dashboard and then back to the story. In addition to addressing the reloading, switching tabs might be easier than scrolling back up to a specific place in the story.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

@StefanSchnitzhofer 

Can you provide a link to the site? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@StefanSchnitzhofer - This is expected behavior. Unfortunately, web pages simply can't keep every piece of content on the page (especially "heavy" content like embedded mapping apps) loaded in memory because it would overload the browser resources and cause the page to crash. For that reason, the StoryMap progressively loads content within the viewport (and a little above and below) and unloads it as a reader scrolls away.

If you anticipate your readers will need to refer to your dashboard multiple times while using your story, I would recommend including a link and/or directions to open the dashboard in a new browser tab so readers can switch to the other tab to see the dashboard and then back to the story. In addition to addressing the reloading, switching tabs might be easier than scrolling back up to a specific place in the story.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Another thing that might help would be to take a screenshot of the dashboard and use that in your story instead of the live app. Of course, this would only be effective if the data in your dashboard was static (such as a snapshot of a previous event) as opposed to if it were still changing.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos