Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy or move story maps to another account?

Jump to solution
08-02-2019 08:55 AM
Anneka_France
Frequent Contributor

We can copy Classic Esri Story Maps to other user accounts using ArcGIS Online Assistant. This is really useful when we want to transfer ownership of a story map, or when we're running training sessions and want to copy across materials. Will it be possible to copy the new ArcGIS StoryMaps to other accounts? If so, is there a time frame for when this feature will be implemented? This will help us to plan our transition to the new story maps for our upcoming training sessions and partnership projects.

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
28 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for sharing this experience. Please note that ArcGIS Assistant is not a supported tool (this is very clear in the documentation), so that is typically why Esri Support may be hesitant to recommend it.

We have a blog here on the Esri Community that mentions the new ArcGIS Assistant as well as other methods that can be used to copy stories.

How to copy a StoryMap to another organization usi... - Esri Community

Can you please let us know what you were searching for so we can figure out why this blog didn't come up for you? We can try to add keywords so it's more easily findable.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
AmyNewsam
Regular Contributor

I searched both in google and on GeoNet, probably using some combination of "copy storymaps from organizational to public accounts".  Since the title of the post you just shared refers to "another organization", I probably would have skipped it.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@SarahBlake -- Public accounts absolutely have access to StoryMaps.

There are some limits to the features that are available to public accounts compared to subscription accounts, which are described here: Licensing—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation.

If you use ArcGIS Assistant to transfer a story from a subscription account to a public account many of the non-included features (for example, an embed or audio block) would still work in the published story. However, you could not edit the story or else some of those features may stop working.

This is not a workflow that is widely tested or officially supported, but it may be a simple way to move a published story that no longer needs to be edited, which sounds like it might meet the requirements of the situation you mentioned.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Clarification to my message above: ArcGIS for Personal Use is a full subscription and does not have the limitations mentioned above. Only the free, public ArcGIS Online accounts have those restrictions.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KristiLiu1
New Contributor

Hi, I was going through the documentation you provided and have a question. Does the shared status matter? Say if a storymap is viewable to the entire organization (group sharing enabled) and I copy it over, would there be any issues? I know it matters when content owners are changed within an organization, would the same also apply to storymaps? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

When copying any item using the ArcGIS Assistant, the sharing status of the new item is set to private. So that does not depend on the sharing status of the original item.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KristiLiu1
New Contributor

OK thank you for the clarification Owen. 

DeniseMcD
New Contributor

Hi all,

Can students use the AOP assistant? I have no time to have it go wrong and deal with an unhappy user. Perhaps we need a statement on our guidance that says projects are not portable. I recently moved all an internal users files to their SSO account and no folders came across and they are really cross it is a mess. Now what do I do?

Has anyone successfully used this unsupported only option? It seems ludicrous that there is no way to save it like export to xyz like a pdf or ppt or some such feature so when students leave us they can action this themselves.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DeniseMcD -- I'm sorry you're having trouble with a few of these tasks. It seems like there are a few separate issues:

I recently moved all an internal users files to their SSO account and no folders came across and they are really cross it is a mess. Now what do I do?

I'm not sure why migrating content from one account to another in the same organization would cause issues. That is something that is easily done using tools in ArcGIS Online (there's no need to use any other tools for that). See Manage content—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation and refer to the Change owner section.

It seems ludicrous that there is no way to save it like export to xyz like a pdf or ppt or some such feature so when students leave us they can action this themselves.

You can create a PDF of any story using the Print feature, which has been available since Jan 2020. See Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation, which points to Print a story—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation. Of course, printing an interactive, responsive format like a StoryMap in a static, fixed layout like a PDF can't capture all of the qualities of the original StoryMap, but it can help to create an archive/portable version, if needed.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos