Select to view content in your preferred language

What tools were used for the smooth panning in Great Wetlands?

Jump to solution
10-19-2022 12:17 PM
Labels (2)
CherieBryant
New Contributor III

I would like to recreate the effect used for this beautiful "Great Wetlands of the World" storymap https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/3b25ad6843dc45559821d90eb02f18bf

After some experimentation, it appears this probably used sidecars/slideshow with 3D maps bookmarked in the background of each slide. Does anyone know how the smooth panning & zooming was accomplished between slides? Or was the effect built on something other than slides?

I'm just using a 2D map for my application. I get the smooth panning/zooming effect on a desktop or laptop, but not on mobile devices. However the Great Wetlands storymap pans seemlessly on all devices and I'd like to do the same.

Thanks!

Cherie Bryant 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I believe when using a 2D map for map choreography on mobile devices this depends on how far the map needs to pan. You may see a continuous transition if the locations are close or it may jump between them if it is far. This may be for performance reasons.

Are you able to add your layers to a 3D web scene?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I believe when using a 2D map for map choreography on mobile devices this depends on how far the map needs to pan. You may see a continuous transition if the locations are close or it may jump between them if it is far. This may be for performance reasons.

Are you able to add your layers to a 3D web scene?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
CherieBryant
New Contributor III

The 2D points are very near one another, sometimes even on the edge of the screen, so I'm surprised it is reloading each time. 

I did try loading it to a 3D scene. Beautiful effect on a 5G phone with fast processor. On an older phone with 4G, it isn't going to be practical due to the lag time. 

But you answered my question about how the Wetlands one was done! Thanks!

0 Kudos