Back to top button

Jump to solution
07-03-2022 03:38 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This seems like something simple and we could do it in the Classic Storymaps. I am looking for an action button at the bottom of the sidecar that takes me back to the top of the page. Yes I know there is navigation along the top (would be nice to have this on the footer too) but our users want the ability to go back to the top of the story with a big button.

Previously, we could have an action button with common html tags which would take us to particular part of the story. tags such as "top" were respected.

When we create a button with a link, it opens our story again but in a new tab. This is not useful behaviour for a mobile device.

Any thoughts?

thanks

Len

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

There are a few existing features that might help...

1) Check out this article about creating in-story links. If you have a heading at/near the top of your story, you can add a text or button link that jumps right to that place in the story.

2) Clicking on the title in the header is also a way to go back to the top of the story. We realize this is not very discoverable, but for people that know about it it can be a nice shortcut.

When we create a button with a link, it opens our story again but in a new tab. 

We will look at whether it's straightforward to change the logic here to treat a link to the same story the same as clicking on the title.

Previously, we could have an action button with common html tags which would take us to particular part of the story. tags such as "top" were respected.

We do not have current plans to add the ability to use custom code in ArcGIS StoryMaps. If you'd like the ability to create a back to top button in the story builder in a different way than the ways that are already available/mentioned above, I'd suggest that you add details of that to our ideas board so others can vote for and weigh in on the suggestion.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

There are a few existing features that might help...

1) Check out this article about creating in-story links. If you have a heading at/near the top of your story, you can add a text or button link that jumps right to that place in the story.

2) Clicking on the title in the header is also a way to go back to the top of the story. We realize this is not very discoverable, but for people that know about it it can be a nice shortcut.

When we create a button with a link, it opens our story again but in a new tab. 

We will look at whether it's straightforward to change the logic here to treat a link to the same story the same as clicking on the title.

We do not have current plans to add the ability to use custom code in ArcGIS StoryMaps. If you'd like the ability to create a back to top button in the story builder in a different way than the ways that are already available/mentioned above, I'd suggest that you add details of that to our ideas board so others can vote for and weigh in on the suggestion.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Owen, I appreciate the prompt reply. I think (now that I know about it) that the heading anchors will work really well and I will take it the business. I tested it out and when we use the tag #ref-n-xxxx it does not open a new page and just returns to the relevant heading. Job solved I hope.

All the best, Len

0 Kudos