Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Online Assistant JSON editing doesn't work?

Jump to solution
10-26-2022 06:13 AM
DanSmith27
New Contributor III

Hello-

I'm trying to edit the JSON of a StoryMap using ArcGIS Online Assistant and it only seems to let me view JSON but not actually change anything. My goal is to add a hyperlink to an image, but nothing I do to the JSON actually pushes over to the StoryMap. Even something as simple as changing text. The JSON will change when I edit a StoryMap and republish, but nothing I do in the JSON editor effects the StoryMap. As if it's only a viewer. I can edit it, save it, but nothing changes. Am I missing something? I'm not on Portal - only ArcGIS Online and we do not have a Developer License (if that matters).

Thanks-
Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DanSmith27 - Right, that article is for one of the classic storytelling templates (Cascade) and doesn't apply to ArcGIS StoryMaps.

If you're interested in seeing the ability to add links to images added in a future update you can vote for and comment on this idea. It's most helpful if you can also provide some details about how you'd use the feature to improve your readers' experience.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DanSmith27 - This is expected. HTML added to your story data will not be parsed since adding custom HTML/CSS is not currently supported in ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Editing story text should work, but there is no need to do this outside the builder. It's probably not working because you aren't taking into account that ArcGIS StoryMaps has draft and published versions of your story data. The draft version (used in the builder) is stored in an item file resource. The published version (used when viewing the story) is stored in the item data. If you manually edit the item data and then republish the story in the builder that will overwrite your edited item data with the draft version of the story data.

If you are doing any manual editing, we recommend that you use the new ArcGIS Assistant rather than the old ArcGIS Online Assistant.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
DanSmith27
New Contributor III

Thanks- did not know about the new ArcGIS Assistant - so is there no way to add hyperlinks to images in StoryMaps? My attempt at this was based on this article. I realize it's a little old though. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DanSmith27 - Right, that article is for one of the classic storytelling templates (Cascade) and doesn't apply to ArcGIS StoryMaps.

If you're interested in seeing the ability to add links to images added in a future update you can vote for and comment on this idea. It's most helpful if you can also provide some details about how you'd use the feature to improve your readers' experience.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos