Accessibility Request

Jump to solution
09-25-2019 01:20 PM
ShanaCrosson2
New Contributor III

Hi -

When we teach students to build StoryMaps, we require them to use Alt Text on any images or visual content. I'm very happy to see the Alt Text option for images and express maps. At some point, could you consider making the Alt Text field more visible (not hidden in the Settings) and required for visuals? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Shana -- We love when authors take advantage of alt text as well! However, we don't think making it required is something that we want to do. Some authors make stories just for themselves to show to others or as a presentation, so requiring authors to add alt text to every piece of media in every story is a bit of a burden we don't want to impose.

We do have some ideas for the future where we can prompt authors about missing alt text (as they build or at publication time), so hopefully that will address your feedback on this matter.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Shana -- We love when authors take advantage of alt text as well! However, we don't think making it required is something that we want to do. Some authors make stories just for themselves to show to others or as a presentation, so requiring authors to add alt text to every piece of media in every story is a bit of a burden we don't want to impose.

We do have some ideas for the future where we can prompt authors about missing alt text (as they build or at publication time), so hopefully that will address your feedback on this matter.

Owen Evans
ShanaCrosson2
New Contributor III

Your point is well taken. I would love the functionality of alerts when alt text is missing - as they go, at publication, or even in a list of "errors."  That would be fantastic! Thanks!

0 Kudos
LoriDelacruz_Lewis
New Contributor III

Hello! I used Storymaps for a webinar presentation yesterday, but have run into an accessibility problem that I have to resolve before I can share it. Although it passed our WAVE (web accessibility evaluation tool), our digital communications manager told me:

"One of the issues I’m seeing is that the format is built around a scrolling design that changes the page view frequently depending on where the user is on the page. I’ll have to spend some time really digging into it to make sure those changes are announced correctly."

He also said that he's going to have to "audit" the embedded maps. Can your team help me overcome these hurdles? I really want to ditch powerpoint and move exclusively to Storymaps.

Here's my storymap: Citizen Science for Everyone 

Cheers!

Lori

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lori Delacruz Lewis -- We can try to help, but I'm not sure the information provided so far is specific enough for us to act on. Can you provide some more detailed information like the WCAG standards that you or your d-com manager believe aren't being met?

Your story looks great! Nice work!!

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
LoriDelacruz_Lewis
New Contributor III

Owen, this is the link I found on our accessibility rules site: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 

When our director talks about the scrolling design, is he referencing the reflow from 1.4.10? Or the reference to navigation in 2.4?

Why would he need to "audit" the maps?

So many new rules...thank you for your help, Owen!

Lori

0 Kudos