Spell Check needed for Story Maps

09-13-2022 11:28 AM
TeresaWhitney
New Contributor III

Spell check would be very helpful for Story Map text content. Right now we pass text back/forth through MS Word but even that we miss some or potentially add an extra keep story or close a space doing it that way.

Tags (2)
6 Comments
NigelRothwell

Absence of spell check capability is very frustrating, expecialy when you are dyslexic. This would be a useful and 'inclusive' inclusion.

OwenGeo

@TeresaWhitney @NigelRothwell -- Spellcheck is available in ArcGIS StoryMaps. Can you please check again and be sure spellcheck is enabled in your browser. If you are experiencing an issue on your particular computer, please contact Esri Technical Support for help troubleshooting.

Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 8.31.01 AM.jpg

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Already Offered

NigelRothwell
Thanks for a prompt response Owen. It looks like this is active in AGP but
not AGOL. Or have I missed something else! I tend to use Storymaps through
AGOL for most of my text editing, and only use AGP (on a different machine
as its resource intensive) for higher end and more complex GIS functions.
OwenGeo

@NigelRothwell -- My screenshot showing spellcheck as active was from https://storymaps.arcgis.com, which I assume is what you mean by AGOL, right?

If you type misspelled words in the story builder and don't see the errors highlighted, please contact Esri Tech Support and they will be able to assist you.

LRSmith

I may be missing something but the underlined misspelled highlights only show up if you're editing a particular section that is active correct? 

Adding a spellcheck to check an entire Story page to include a dictionary to add uncommon technical words or words that are incorrect if not capitalized such as "ArcGIS" would be a welcome addition. 

Unfortunate, I feel many who use Word/PPT on a regular basis get accustomed to ignoring the red underline.