Render HTML from a feature service field used for map tour place descriptions

03-15-2022 12:44 PM
ZoëGreen
New Contributor II

Our ArcGIS Story Map includes a Map Tour (Explorer, Grid layout).

Attributes from the underlying Feature Layer populate the Place Title and Place Description for each location shown on the map. I’m trying to use some basic HTML in the Description but not having much luck. For example, <strong> works but not <br> nor <p> - which are what I've been trying in order to display with a blank line between sections of the Description. .

I’ve seen this https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/supported-html.htm but that list doesn’t seem to apply to a Map Tour.

Welcome any insight.

9 Comments
OwenGeo

Rendering HTML in feature service fields in the map tour is something that is on our list, but there is some work involved and it hasn't been prioritized at this time. I'll convert this question to an idea so others can vote on it.

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Under Consideration

JaredPilbeam2

I have a lot of points and the Map Tour seems the most feasible for this. So, I support this idea as I'd like a way for the end-user to get more info on the points.

JaredPilbeam2

Since you cannot have pop-ups in the map I'd like to have a multi-line description in the side bar.

For example, right now I can show the title and address. But, it would be great to be able to show the address as well as the website (as a link).

description2.gif

Kim_Graham

We would very much like this functionality to appear soon in storymaps.  We are working at converting classic storymaps to the new templates and the comparable functionality is just not there. 

We currently show development in our city and want to list multiple lines of info - where it is the in the development process, address, description, who to contact.  We have many points, and they get updated on a fairly often cycle, so using the tour from feature layer is necessary. Our classic storymap is behaving poorly, but we have yet to be able to replicate them due to the lack of functionality.  

OwenGeo
Status changed to: In Product Plan

This is currently under development.

iupiter

@OwenGeo  Hello Owen! Are there any status updates for including additional data fields via feature layers in map tours? Same request as described above: would like to be able to add website URL, phone number and address (and ideally a Directions html link) in addition to the current capabilities of Title, Description, and Media. Thank you for any updates you can provide.

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Implemented

@iupiter -- Yes! Last week we released an update that included support for many more HTML tags, including <p>, <br>, and more. See the blog for details.

What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (June 2023) (esri.com)

cc: @ZoëGreen @Kim_Graham @JaredPilbeam2 

iupiter

@OwenGeo Woohoo! Thanks Owen! 😀