New story maps text/format functionality

06-05-2020 09:12 AM
NicoleBraun
New Contributor II

Our organization uses public facing story maps on our website to often "glam-up" our otherwise boring PDF reports. I have now made a handful of story maps for multiple departments in the new template. While the new story maps looks great, the common trend (with our organization, can't speak for others) is that it seems to be lacking a lot of basic functionality that was often available in the classics.

1. Besides changing from a heading, sub heading, and paragraph text - text size can not be modified to downplay things like footnotes, references etc or accentuate others.

2. Superscripts and subscripts are not available. Seeing as though we use our story maps to jazz up scientific reports, this often creates bulky footnotes for us that take away from our stories, specifically if we can't change text size either.

3. While navigation is a great and welcomed addition, headings placed within a side car module do not show up in the navigation. This is disappointing. Adding the heading outside the sidecar takes away from flow and aesthetics in many cases. In many cases, users pick between having consistent formatting and flow or having navigation available.

4. Of course, it would be great to have more formatting customization in general over paragraphs and image placement with in text. Currently it only allows the image to be on the right side within the text and does not allow for you to control word wrapping, etc. This is one of my common complaints from non GIS users who have feedback for me regarding the new template.

Hopefully some of these things can be addressed to make the new template more beneficial for many groups working with more dynamic data. I would like to utilize the new template as much as possible, but often have to resort to the classics still.

5 Comments
OwenGeo

@NicoleBraun 

#3 - The ability to add sidecar headings to story navigation was added in December 2020. For details see What's new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (December 2020).

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Under Consideration

NicoleBraun

@OwenGeo Thank you for the update!

OwenGeo

#4 - The ability to float media on the left or right is now available. For details see What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (May 2021) (esri.com).

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Implemented

@NicoleBraun -- I'm going to mark this idea as implemented since about half of the items have been added to ArcGIS StoryMaps.

I would ask if you please submit new, individual ideas for your other requests. When multiple ideas are in the same thread, we don't get good information on which items the community is most interested in. Separate ideas can be much more helpful for us to know what people want, and they also make it more likely that others will upvote your ideas if they want the same things.