Image Annotation Tool

11-29-2022 01:31 PM
Labels (3)
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

I wish there was a way to add an image (non georeferenced one - like a JPEG or PNG) and be able to add markers or tie this to actions in the sidecar. Right now I usually create an annotated image in another program (like Genially) and embed it in order to create the annotated image effect. Being able to annotate the images directly in Story Maps would be amazing though!

Tags (3)
5 Comments
OwenGeo
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@SaraJL -- A few weeks ago we added the new image editor to ArcGIS StoryMaps. You can read about it here: What's New in ArcGIS StoryMaps (November 2022) (esri.com)

Please check it out and let us know if this meets your needs.

SaraJL
by

@OwenGeo thank you for sharing the info! That is neat but doesn't do what I need - the image editor is more for adjusting images.

I'm looking for more interactivity! Something similar to this example I've used for tech demos: A Thousand Li of Rivers and Mountains

It's a little more reader guided - it could also potentially give users a way to annotate static maps. It's great for beginner GIS users who may not have access to Pro in order to georeference images.

Thank you for the help!

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Open

PeterKnoop

@SaraJL not as simple a workflow as you are describing, however, if you have access to ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online, then you don't need Pro for georeferencing your images. Since you don't care about the specific geographic "location" of your image, you can just arbitrarily georeference it. Then you can use it as a web map on which you can overlay other data layers for annotation, or use it as a basemap which you can annotate in an Express Map. One way to do this is described in Interactive Images in StoryMaps.

R_C_Miessler

Definitely interested in this. I would envision something similar to the Gigapixel StorymapJS functionality: https://storymap.knightlab.com/gigapixel/