Adding mailto: to the Content/ Attribution area

02-27-2022 09:08 PM
BlairMcclenathan
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

My organization and I have recently started using StoryMaps and have been wanting to add a link to allow people to email the author directly. We would love to be able to use something like, "mailto:example@email.com" as an embedded link. This is currently possible to do with buttons, but not with the text in the attribution section.

Any consideration or alternatives are greatly appreciated,

Blair

14 Comments
HelenCooper

Hi Blair,

I don't know the 'official' way of doing this, but I've found that if you copy and paste an email address from something like Outlook, where the hyperlink is already enabled (just by virtue of you typing an email address and following it with a space), the mailto link will remain active within the StoryMap. 

I haven't found another way of doing this, but agree it would be great if it were possible to do this more easily!

Best wishes, 

Helen

OwenGeo

@BlairMcclenathan -- This should work, but it looks like there's a bug that was introduced recently that sometimes prevents this from working as expected. 

We'll look to fix this in an upcoming release, and I'll update this thread when I have more information.

OwenGeo
Status changed to: In Product Plan

BlairMcclenathan

Wonderful! Thank you @OwenGeo, and thank you @HelenCooper  for the temporary fix.

JulieJackson1

@BlairMcclenathan  - Could you share the link to the bug that is preventing mailto links from working correctly?

BlairMcclenathan

@JulieJackson1

I don't think I can share a link to the bug, its not that something is crashing, but instead (it sounds like) things aren't working as intended. In our case, our city website is ci.mansfield.oh.us and our email domain is the same. This causes the mailto: link when clicked to send the user to our website instead of allowing for a user to email the author directly.

Hope this helps,

Blair

JulieJackson1

@BlairMcclenathan , we are seeing the exact same error. Thank you for clarifying. 

OwenGeo

We've determined the cause of this bug and are planning to address it in our upcoming release on March 23. I apologize for the issue.

OwenGeo

Unfortunately we weren't able to get the fix for this issue finalized in time for next week's release, but it will be addressed in the April 6 update.

OwenGeo

This issue has been addressed in last night's update. All supported link protocols are working again.