Select to view content in your preferred language

Recreate classic map tours or shortlists in ArcGIS StoryMaps

08-29-2022 02:17 PM
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor
1 3 743

Do you have a classic map tour or shortlist story that uses a feature service? If so, you can use a new capability of ArcGIS StoryMaps, which was added in August 2022, to import that tour and re-create it as a new guided or explorer tour.

On the Data options panel you’ll now see a new Advanced tab that contains an option for power users who want to manage their own image files rather than use feature service attachments. This is the new Image URL field option.

This can be useful if you have a feature layer from a classic map tour or shortlist that you want to use in a new ArcGIS StoryMaps-based story or if you need to host images in an external, central location because they will be used in multiple stories or even in other websites.

Be aware, however, that hosting your own images bypasses all the built-in optimization ArcGIS StoryMaps does to make your images perform well. If you use images that have a large file size they will load slowly in your tour, so be sure to use this option with caution. Make sure the images you point to are compressed (a few hundred kilobytes is ideal) and optimized for web use.

Let us know if you plan to re-create one of your classic stories using ArcGIS StoryMaps and if you have any feedback about this capability!

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 5.30.52 PM.jpg

3 Comments
EricKriener
Frequent Contributor

GIVE US BACK SHORTLISTS!!!

MikeSimmons
Emerging Contributor

Agreed with Eric above.  It sure isn't helpful to remove actual useful templates, and then give no way to re-create them in your "improved" versions.

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I want to add my support to the calls above to have a PROPER Shortlist template set up in the new Story Maps. It's an incredible layout, and it's sorely missing.

But for a direct question for the post, with the added image URL functionality I appreciate this as it definitely makes it closer to the Shortlist to develop, my issue is it doesn't seem to allow there to be 2 separate images between what shows in the list and what shows when you select an option? That was key to what we had been doing previously. Am I missing a setting?

About the Author
Owen is the lead product engineer on Esri's StoryMaps Team and is located in Esri's DC R&D Center in Arlington, VA. He's been with Esri since 2004, and was a Solution Engineer on the National Government Team until 2015. His main areas of interest are StoryMaps and Web GIS and his hobbies include hockey, tech/gadgets, and guitar.