Understanding Euclidean Distance

Jump to solution
01-12-2022 07:27 AM
AlbertoCañivano
New Contributor III

Good afternoon.
I have problems generating an Euclidean distance raster of a feature class.
I understand the Euclidean distance as the distance in horizontal to the nearest cell.
I start from a polygon feature class, where I have defined as Environment:
-Extension (red polygon)
-Pixel size (5 meters)
-Coordinate system (EPSG 28530)

I need the output raster to be this pixel size for further calculations.
I get the following result, which I think is incorrect, but I don't know why this might be happening.
Any help? Thanks in advance

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

Glad you got it working and the new output definitely looks like what you would expect.  You are correct about the internal conversion so bypassing that seems to produce the correct result which points to the feature class you used as input.   I wasn't able to reproduce it on my side but if you can share the input source features we can test it on our side.  

Kind regards.

Thank you.  Good luck.

-Ryan 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

Hi Alberto,   what version are you using?

Note: If ArcGIS Pro you can use the Distance Accumulation tool which is the new functional tool for calculating distance. 

However the output does seem suspect but I can't tell from the image. 

What are the input source data  features?  Are these the recreation Points?

Can you share the data? 

0 Kudos
AlbertoCañivano
New Contributor III

Hi Ryan.
I am currently still using ArcMap (version 10.5) and the data I am using are small polygons.
Anyway I have found a solution that is working for me and that is to convert the feature class to raster and subsequently pass the Euclidean distance tool.
I have read in the Esri documentation that internally, the tool itself internally transforms the features to raster and then runs the tool.
Unfortunately I don't know why it calculates this way.
Thanks

0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

Glad you got it working and the new output definitely looks like what you would expect.  You are correct about the internal conversion so bypassing that seems to produce the correct result which points to the feature class you used as input.   I wasn't able to reproduce it on my side but if you can share the input source features we can test it on our side.  

Kind regards.

Thank you.  Good luck.

-Ryan 

0 Kudos