Trouble interpolating 7M points

06-09-2017 05:57 PM
SimonJackson
Frequent Contributor

I have a layer with over 7 million records.  This is in a fine mesh grid (output from a 3rd party modelling package.

The source data is a simple table in SQL Server containing a geometry column (4326).

I need to interpolate this using either Natural Neighbour or IDW using a variable in the dataset.

I have used a smaller area and have been happy with the results I have been getting.

I have replicated the below in ArcGIS Pro 1.4 and 2.0 beta and also in ArcMap 10.5.

I have 16GB RAM and a decent CPU and a dedicated GPU.

Using Spatial Analyst IDW

Using the Query Layer

Completes ~5 minutes

Result is an empty raster with no data.

Using Enterprise GeoDatabase

Completes ~2 minutes

File GeoDatabase

Completes ~2 minutes

Using Spatial Analyst Natural Neighbour

Query Layer ~5 minutes = Empty Raster

File Geodatabase 38 seconds = Empty Raster

I also have Geostatistical Analyst, and did see it had some options for parallel processing, but I also spotted that IDW does not have a search distance which I need.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to interpolate this dataset?  

0 Kudos
12 Replies
GünterDörffel
Frequent Contributor

Hi Simon,

Dont know about the attribution of your points, but especially if there is/are more than one attribute and you want to be flexible on selection, 'layering' and using it as raster or feature to solve your interpolation issue, probably try to convert the data to a multidimensional NetCDF dataset (see help) ... and then use it as a raster layer created from the NetCDF data - this will include your options for setting spacing/resolution and doesnt require the points to be evenly spread to start with. Would be interesting to hear if this works for you. NetCDF is powerful and nicely integrated with ArcGIS nowadays.

Guenter

0 Kudos
SimonJackson
Frequent Contributor

I have been contemplating if a NetCDF would be useful in other areas of this study (the data is also temporal).
In this instance, there is just one variable within this point dataset that I need to create a surface from.  
However, will have a bigger think about this.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

but I also spotted that IDW does not have a search distance which I need.

IDW search distance is specified using the parameter search_radius.