Standardizing Kernel Density Output Cell Size and Search Radius

04-28-2014 06:50 AM
JennaKlinck
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to find a standard cell size and search radius within the Kernel Density Tool so I can use the same settings across all of my spatial data sets (1 Hour chunks of tree sway).  The problem I'm having is that my tree sway data has varrying sizes based on wind (see attached pictures - different colors are different data chunks).  I want to create density contours so the area of them can be compared across different time segments, but cannot think of how to do this because there is no one standard cell size and search radius that works creates nice density contours across all time periods.  Any creative ideas or suggestions how else I may be able to do this so all settings are equal?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
Interesting data!
You can certainly set the cellsize and search radius to be the same in each case, you can see that.
What is the scale across that map?. You might need an output with submetre resolution.
You might consider creating a mask / snap raster covering the extent of all the data, with a particular cellsize and alignment.
Then using the environment settings, snap each kernel density output to that.

Good luck,
Neil
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
If you use the same size and radius across all time periods (I'd go for a small enough cell size to capture enough detail, and the smallest possible radius to get a reasonable density value). Then normalize the density results x1 = (x - mean)/stdev so you can compare how the patterns change.
0 Kudos
JennaKlinck
New Contributor
Thank you so much for your ideas!
0 Kudos
sileshimossie
New Contributor

hello esri sociyt i have  gps coordinet point that i collect for studiyg colobus monkey daily range langeth in dry and wet season by using arc gis softwear  extension like kernel density estimation but i have t enough  skill to run the softwear so please help me i will attach the all gps point  thankyou 

0 Kudos