polygon to raster

Jump to solution
05-07-2015 02:19 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have two different polygons A and B, but with the same values of max resistivity. When I run "polygon to raster", arcgis merge A and B polygons. How to prevent the merging of those polygons?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Ivan,

Does the former A and B area within your raster dataset also have the same ID? If not, you could use the ID to seperate them. If yes try to change the attribute in the Polygon to Raster - Tool within the "value_field" (using the ID field of the shape and not the max resistivity). So your output raster should have for each polygon a different ID without merging. Later you could do some join/spatial statistic operations to get the max resistivity for each "former" polygon.

I can not try to reproduce the steps because we do not have the nescessary licences here.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThomasSteudel1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Ivan,

Does the former A and B area within your raster dataset also have the same ID? If not, you could use the ID to seperate them. If yes try to change the attribute in the Polygon to Raster - Tool within the "value_field" (using the ID field of the shape and not the max resistivity). So your output raster should have for each polygon a different ID without merging. Later you could do some join/spatial statistic operations to get the max resistivity for each "former" polygon.

I can not try to reproduce the steps because we do not have the nescessary licences here.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Evan,

FIll the ID field (Add Field, if necessary) of the polygon layer with values 1 and 2 for PolygonA and PolygonB respectively.

Convert the polygon to Raster using the ID field.

Think Location
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here's a more complete explanation, for the good of the thread.

The raster data model is based on a single value per cell for most operations. If you want to preserve attributes on the raster side, these suggestions are right on - specify the ObjectID field as a "Value field" for the Polygon To Raster tool, and then copy the polygon attributes over to the raster attribute table using the Join Field tool.

However, for analysis purposes with raster tools like the Raster Calculator, it really does make sense to convert to raster using the field you will be analyzing. (The Lookup tool may be used in map algebra to access attributes for calculation purposes, but is generally more convenient and efficient to not have to use it.)

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you all! solved!

0 Kudos