Inverse of Euclidean distance?

Jump to solution
02-12-2018 05:06 PM
AmyJ
by
New Contributor II
Hi everyone,
I am trying to do the reverse / inverse of a euclidean distance. For example, I am doing distance to roads analysis. The output from the distance raster shows roads as 0 and areas closest to roads as 0.1, 0.2, etc and the areas furthest from roads as a very high value. However, I would like the raster to be the reverse of this - the areas closest to the roads should have the highest values and the areas furthest from the roads should have the lowest values.  Specifically, the areas closest to the roads are 0.001 and the areas furthest from the roads are 3000. I would like the reverse - the areas closest to the roads to be 3000 and the areas furthest from the roads to be 0.001. How do I create a raster that reverses the number? 
I would use reclass but this would be difficult to use as the values are continuous and not integers. Is there a way to do this in reclass or raster calculator that I am not aware of for continuous values without overgeneralizing them? Or is there a different tool that I can use?
I am trying to do this in IDRISI so if any of you know how to do it in this program, that would be exceedingly helpful. If not, I am definitely happy with ideas on how to do this in ArcGIS, and then I can import the file into IDRISI after editing it in ArcGIS.
Thank you!
0 Kudos
13 Replies
AmyJ
by
New Contributor II

Hi Xander, Thanks so much for all of your help! I really, really appreciate it! It worked perfectly! I am sorry that I misunderstood something minor in your first post and it wasn't working for me. But I was able to figure it out and it worked great. Also, sorry for not replying right away - I had to go work in the field (remote conservation work) for a few days and didn't have access to internet.

FatihDur1
New Contributor II

In fact this formula can be reduced to

(max - min) - Raster

This was updated after the comment of Xander Bakker‌ about factoring in min value.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

But only if your minimum value is 0...

FatihDur1
New Contributor II

I have updated my comment...

0 Kudos