Select to view content in your preferred language

Fill Attribute Table of a point shape from an Attribute Table of a polygon shape

Jump to solution
04-17-2013 07:31 AM
ThiagoVirgilio
Deactivated User
First of all, sorry my bad English!!

Hi, I need to fill an attribute table of a point shape with information from an attribute table of a polygon shape.

I have a shape of points and I need to fill a column of its attribute table with the name of the neighborhood it is located, I have other shape (polygon) with the neighborhoods and each polygon named on the attribute table.

How can I automatically fill the attribute table of the first shape with values from the second shape?
I can´t do it manually because there are 200k points.

Thank you for your attention.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBoucher
Honored Contributor
Here's an idea. There may be a tool that does this in one motion...

1. Create a neighborhood field in the point layer.

2. Perform a spatial join between the polygon and the points.

3. Join the resulting point file with your data point file using the appropriate field.

4. Use field calculator to transfer the neighborhood value to your point layer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarkBoucher
Honored Contributor
Here's an idea. There may be a tool that does this in one motion...

1. Create a neighborhood field in the point layer.

2. Perform a spatial join between the polygon and the points.

3. Join the resulting point file with your data point file using the appropriate field.

4. Use field calculator to transfer the neighborhood value to your point layer.

0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
All you need to do is perform a spatial join.  When you join polygons to points, the points will get the attributes of the polygon it falls inside of or is closest to (your choice).

If there are a lot of fields in the polygons that you don't want transferred to the points, simply turn those fields off via the polygon properties > fields tab.

Steps:
Add both points and polygons to ArcMap.
Right click on points > Joins and Relates > Join
Select "Join data from another layer based on spatial location" from the first dropdown.
Select your polygons as the layer to join to.
Specify output and run it.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Honored Contributor
Eric - To get the values into his original points' table, doesn't he have to do my steps 3 and 4?
0 Kudos
ThiagoVirgilio
Deactivated User
People, thank you so much!!

I didn't even know about the "Spatial Join".
And MBoucher21, when I do the Spatial Join a new temporary shape is created, so I just have to Export Data and create a new shape, saving it where I want.

Thank you! 😉
0 Kudos
YashBanait
New Contributor

Did you got your answer?

0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Eric - To get the values into his original points' table, doesn't he have to do my steps 3 and 4?

There isn't anything wrong with the workflow you provided since it was designed to keep/update the "original" point feature class.  However, the result of the Spatial Join would be the original point geometry and original attributes PLUS the desired attributes from the polygon layer.  Typically people discard/archive the original layer that lacks the necessary attributes and just move forward with the spatial join result which has everything.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos