ExtractByMask for multidimensional raster

02-14-2023 04:03 PM
DavidAnderson_1701
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to use the ExtractByMask tool on a multidimension raster dataset by using the ForEach tool,

The raster data is gridded historical climate data of monthly maximum air temperature.

The mask data is a vector data set of vegetation communities,

Here is the code

import arcpy
climate_file_historic_monthly_1950_54 = r"D:\temp\climate_projections\macav2metdata_tasmax_GFDL-ESM2M_r1i1p1_historical_1950_1954_CONUS_monthly.nc"
max_temp_hist_monthly_raster = arcpy.Raster(climate_file_historic_monthly_1950_54,True)

eru_data_file = r"D:\temp\RegionalSeralStateDeparture.gdb\Ecological_Response_Unit"
arcpy.management.MakeFeatureLayer(eru_data_file,'eru_data',"R3ERUCODE = 'MCD'")

arcpy.CheckOutExtension('Spatial')

arcpy.sa.Foreach(max_temp_hist_monthly_raster,'ExtractByMask',{'in_mask_data':'eru_data'})

:

The error returned is

RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
In  [70]:
Line 1:     arcpy.sa.Foreach(max_temp_hist_monthly_raster,'ExtractByMask',{'in_mask_data':'eru_data'})

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\ia\_ia.py, in Foreach:
Line 114:   return arcgisscripting._ia.Foreach(in_raster=in_raster,

RuntimeError: Invalid Raster Function: 'ExtractByMask'

The documentation on using the ForEach tool is a bit scanty.  Using the ExtractByMask tool from the analysis tools returns a single band raster. I am looking for the extracted data by each slice.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am not seeing ExtractByMask in the list of Raster function objects referenced here

Foreach—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and here

Raster function objects—Common Data Types | ArcGIS Developers

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DavidAnderson_1701
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.   The documentation on using the ForEach function is not all that clear.  I assumed that any Spatial Analyst raster function could be used.  
After consulting the raster functions documentation I changed the code from ExtractByMask to 

max_temp_clip_raster = arcpy.sa.Foreach(max_temp_hist_monthly_raster,'Clip',{"ClippingGeometry":eru_data_feature_set, "ClippingType":1})

use the Clip function.

That does not work.  This is the error returned:

RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
In  [17]:
Line 4:     max_temp_clip_raster = arcpy.sa.Foreach(max_temp_hist_monthly_raster,'Clip',{"ClippingGeometry":eru_data_feature_set, "ClippingType":1})

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\ia\_ia.py, in Foreach:
Line 114:   return arcgisscripting._ia.Foreach(in_raster=in_raster,

RuntimeError: Failed to apply Raster Function: 'Clip' (The parameter is incorrect. )

I tested out the Clip raster function in Pro UI.  From what I determine, the function will not clip a raster to a polygon boundary like the ExtractByMask function does.

0 Kudos