Extract Polyline Statistics in relation in Raster

11-21-2020 02:00 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am attempting to calculate what distance of a polyline is in a specific raster value. I cannot find a great tool to do this with. One way I believe I could do this is to make a different raster file for each raster value then clip the polylines to that new raster file and measure it. this would split all the roads up and would be very time consuming. Any great ideas?

Context: 

I am attempting to identify roads at increased land/mudslide risk post wildfire. The raster values are a raster calculation between NBR and slope. I would like to be able to confidently say something like "FS road ### has 120m of road at high risk for landslide and 540m at moderate risk".

4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think you could quite easily iterate over each polyline (road) and jury-rig the stack profile tool

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/3d-analyst-toolbox/stack-profile.htm

then do some magic on the output table for each road.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the suggestion

Hmm been exploring the stack profile tool now for a little while and cannot get it to produce anything beneficial for my needs.

What I need is to be able to identify which of these roads go through red sections, then quantify and identify those locations in red. (see image)

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Seemed to work fine.3dstack.png

0 Kudos
PetronilaMandeno
Occasional Contributor II

I have almost the same question!

My idea was to create points along the line, extract the values from the raster to the point, and then spatial join the points to segmented portions (regular intervals) of the line.

But I need an average of the raster value around each point (since the roads are already represented in the raster and a value under the point themselves would just return 0).

0 Kudos