Extract Multi Values to Points gives incorrect values ... sometimes

Jump to solution
02-05-2020 03:10 PM
Diana_Di_Leonardo
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to extract the elevation value from a raster at the points making up transects. I am first calculating the X and Y points, using arcpy.AddXY_management, so that I will end up with x, y, z values along the transects. The points have been generated from transect lines using arcpy.GeneratePointsAlongLines_management. However, Extract Multi Values to Points gives me the wrong values the first time I run the tool. It also resets the X and Y values in the attribute table to incorrect values. If I recalculate the X and Y values and rerun Extract Multi Values to Points, I get the right Z value. I have replicated the behavior a few times. The code lines that I am trying to use are in the attached file in case that is helpful.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I am using ArcGIS Pro that I updated earlier this week.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Diana,

Actually, this bug is a duplicate of the one reported in this thread: Extract Values to Points does not work correctly 
The bug has to do with the the Shape_Length field carried over Generate Points Along Lines.
This bug was fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.5.
To work around this issue, if possible upgrade to atleast ArcGIS Pro 2.5. You can also work around by re-creating your points without the "Shape_Length" field (as described in the thread I linked, above)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Diana,
I am a product engineer with the Spatial Analyst team, and we want to help you resolve this problem. Specifically, to which version of ArcGIS Pro did you upgrade?

Thanks, Dana

0 Kudos
Diana_Di_Leonardo
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro 2.4.3

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So far, in my testing I am unable to reproduce this bug.

Would you like to reach out to me at dmelamed@esri.com, so that we can set up a file transfer and I can test with your data?
This way, I can hopefully reproduce the bug and show our developer. Thanks,
Dana.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Diana,

Actually, this bug is a duplicate of the one reported in this thread: Extract Values to Points does not work correctly 
The bug has to do with the the Shape_Length field carried over Generate Points Along Lines.
This bug was fixed in ArcGIS Pro 2.5.
To work around this issue, if possible upgrade to atleast ArcGIS Pro 2.5. You can also work around by re-creating your points without the "Shape_Length" field (as described in the thread I linked, above)

0 Kudos