Select to view content in your preferred language

Environment Settings Raster Analysis Cell Size

11-09-2016 01:44 AM
NikolaiKirch
Emerging Contributor

I need some kind of "official statement" for this case:

I have a raster with a cell size of 1x1 and one with the cell size of 10x10 and need them to be aligend with each other.

This worked for me so far, but i need to understand what has happend to align them:

I used the Extract by Mask Tool (ArcGIS 10.4.1.5686 License type Basic) like this:

Input:                         1x1 raster

feature mask data:   10x10 raster

Environment Settings -> Raster Analysis -> Cell Size:  Maximum of Inputs

my result is a raster with the values of the 1x1 raster but with the extent and cell size of my 10x10 raster (so they are aligend?).

The help says about the Cell Size that if you specify a finer cell size the tool will interpolate with the nearest neighbor technique, but in my case I had a coarser cell size and the cells were not aligend before.

With witch technique were the cells of my new raster populated?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

use aggregate before you do anything.  I am not sure why you are wanting to skip that step if your output cell size is to be 10x10.  Your shortcut is confusing, given that you have full control over the process and the output by Aggregating first.  Can you elaborate?

0 Kudos
NikolaiKirch
Emerging Contributor

the problem is that I can run into cases where aggregate cant solve my problems:

like having a raster of the cellsize 4.3x4.3 or 10.43x10.43 with not the same extent like my 10x10 raster from the beginning with which i need all of my future rasters to be align.

I need to create a workflow to align a raster with my 10x10 raster for every cellsize and extent.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I would run a test case, I think you will find that the aggregation with median and the appropriate extent_handling and snap raster will take care of your needs..  But you will have to compare with the other options and examine the borders of your cell aggregation compared to the inputs behave.

0 Kudos
NikolaiKirch
Emerging Contributor

i just tried it with aggregation, MEAN and the appropriate extent (snap raster: raster 10x10).

The extent of the resulting raster is slightly diferent:

Top: 5207113,76957 to 5207111,60844

Clolumns and Rows: 7885, 11260 to 7885, 11259

while having the same cell size of 10x10.

0 Kudos