Create a Signature File Issue

02-26-2014 07:12 AM
JoshObrecht
Occasional Contributor
We have a lab that contains 18 computers. While following instructions to perform supervised classification for class, all but 2 received a message saying "Unable to save signature file" when trying to create a signature file. All settings on the computers were the same. Are there any requirements that may be missing that would not allow the signature file to be created?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anne-MarieLapointe
New Contributor II
I am getting the same exact message when trying to save the signature file. This is major since not being able to save said file prevents me from executing subsequent supervised classification steps. As of now I can only use either unsupervised or else interactive supervised (no supervised max likelihood, etc.).
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I would check file permissions and make sure you have write access privileges to the folder where you are trying to save the file.  Can you create other files in this folder in Windows Explorer (New -- text document)?

Since this is a lab setting, I'd also check to make sure you haven't accidentally set up two users to access the same folder, as this can cause permissions issues when two users try to write to the same folder.
Anne-MarieLapointe
New Contributor II
I would check file permissions and make sure you have write access privileges to the folder where you are trying to save the file.  Can you create other files in this folder in Windows Explorer (New -- text document)?

Since this is a lab setting, I'd also check to make sure you haven't accidentally set up two users to access the same folder, as this can cause permissions issues when two users try to write to the same folder.

Thanks for your reply curtvprice! I have full write access privileges to the folders I am trying to save the file to, and can create other files in these folders, too. I can perform Interactive supervised classification flawlessly, which is the closest to a supervised classification I am getting to. However, I cannot create any signature file - I constantly get the message "failed to create signature file" when trying to do so. This particular file is required for more advanced (?) supervised classification methods such as Max Likelihood and Class Porbability both of which I cannot use as of now. I am using RGB imagery which is certainly not optimal but should still be suitable to generate a sgnature file. Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Anne-MarieLapointe
New Contributor II
I have been able to generate a signature file using another, similar set of RGB image as well as another, similar training sample. I still have no explanation why the gsg file failed to be generated in prior cases. The only difference I noticed is this time the source files were located locally instead - bottomline if you get this try working locally.
UmaerAbdullahZaki
New Contributor

I created the signature file in local: default.gdb folder, it worked!

And then cut this .gsg to another folder except your local.
0 Kudos