Select to view content in your preferred language

cell statistics and cost distance bounding box problem

Jump to solution
06-27-2013 01:07 AM
davidcabatingan
New Contributor
hello.

I am trying to make an accessibility map of the facilities in our place. I used slope, roads, and land cover (all in raster format), and facilities (in shp format).

I tried to do cell statistics between my roads and land cover data, since the merge raster is not working on ArcGIS 10. the result values were okay but the extent is not, I think it only considers the minimum bounding box of the road, i dont know. pls have a look at my attached images.

I tried to continue and compute for the cost raster using raster calculator. I believe I got the result I wanted.

Then when I tried to use the cost distance tool, input was the facilities.shp and using the cost raster, I got again a minimum bounding box of the result. please see the attached image.

My question is how can I output a same extent as my slope or landcover data. Did I miss any tool or step? Please help. I really need this problem solved. I am okay with the resulting values, it is the resulting map I having a problem with..

thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi David,

The key to this type of analysis is to set the geoprocessing environments; the extent, cellsize, spatial reference, etc that will be used in the analysis. Important are:

• Output coordinates
  • Processing extent (including snap raster if you already have a raster)
  • Raster Analysis, cell size

This should be done, before converting vector data to raster and will force the data to use the same extent. By default many raster tools will use an output extent that is the intersection of the input extents of the rasters.

I am not able to see the images you zipped and attached to your post. Consider to include the images in the post the next time and not zip and attach them. This makes it a lot easier and faster to see what you mean.

The merge tool is used to merge adjacent data and not to sum pixel values. The Cell statistics tool can be used for that purpose, but make sure that the "Ignore NoData in calculation" is checked to avoid NoData to propagate in the result. Read this topic for more information on NoData cells: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Please note that when doing cost distance calculations that the rasters that make up the cost raster, cover the entire extent, otherwise lower cost values will influence the route calculated since the cost will result in a lower value.

Kind regards, Xander

View solution in original post

1 Reply
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi David,

The key to this type of analysis is to set the geoprocessing environments; the extent, cellsize, spatial reference, etc that will be used in the analysis. Important are:

• Output coordinates
  • Processing extent (including snap raster if you already have a raster)
  • Raster Analysis, cell size

This should be done, before converting vector data to raster and will force the data to use the same extent. By default many raster tools will use an output extent that is the intersection of the input extents of the rasters.

I am not able to see the images you zipped and attached to your post. Consider to include the images in the post the next time and not zip and attach them. This makes it a lot easier and faster to see what you mean.

The merge tool is used to merge adjacent data and not to sum pixel values. The Cell statistics tool can be used for that purpose, but make sure that the "Ignore NoData in calculation" is checked to avoid NoData to propagate in the result. Read this topic for more information on NoData cells: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Please note that when doing cost distance calculations that the rasters that make up the cost raster, cover the entire extent, otherwise lower cost values will influence the route calculated since the cost will result in a lower value.

Kind regards, Xander