Area Solar Radiation: Failed to open raster dataset

11-19-2010 03:15 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Greforb

I tried to do some calculations on solar radiation in ArcGis 10. I use the Area Solar Radiation tool, and no matter what settings I use, I keed getting the error: Failed to open raster dataset. I Tried doing it both in ArcMap and in Python, using the following command:
AreaSolarRadiation("K:/Raster/dem.img","45,0","2800","WholeYear   2009","14","0,5","NOINTERVAL","1","FROM_DEM","32","8","8","UNIFORM_SKY","0,3","0,5",'','','')

I get the full error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Gis\Desktop\vg.py", line 7, in <module>
    AreaSolarRadiation("K:/Raster/dem.img","45,0","2800","WholeYear   2009","14","0,5","NOINTERVAL","1","FROM_DEM","32","8","8","UNIFORM_SKY","0,3","0,5",'','','')
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\sa\Functions.py", line 5953, in AreaSolarRadiation
    out_direct_duration_raster)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\sa\Utils.py", line 47, in swapper
    result = wrapper(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\sa\Functions.py", line 5933, in wrapper
    out_direct_duration_raster)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 474, in <lambda>
    return lambda *args: val(*gp_fixargs(args))
ExecuteError: ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Failed to open raster dataset
Failed to execute (AreaSolarRadiation).

From which it seems to be the out_direct_duration_raster which is causing the trouble. However, this is optional, so I don't get why. I tried giving it a path for the out_direct_duration_raster, which does not help either.

I also tried to do a repair of the installation because I read somewhere else here on the forums that that might help. No luck though!

Any suggestions are greatly appreaciated
0 Kudos
17 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jbswain

If you are still having the issue, then I recommend creating a Support Incident, so a bug report can be created if necessary or a workaround determined.
0 Kudos
AndrewBrown1
Occasional Contributor II
Does anybody have any resolution regarding this issue? I am experiencing it as well.
0 Kudos
AndrewBrown1
Occasional Contributor II
In regards to my previous post, I think it's the DEM that I'm using. Essentially, it's the original DEM combined with elevation values from building polygons. The linear units are in feet, and it's in a state plane coordinate system; are the units supposed to be in meters for the solar radiation tool to function properly?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: tbwester

This error has been driving me INSANE!!!!!  All these comments about workspaces and stuff are not the issue, there is something in arcmap that is screwing up.

FIX:

Bring in an editable layer (i.e. shapefile, you cannot edit your raster).

Start editing.  And area solar radiation should work while you are in edit mode.

Be interested to hear if this is working for others.
0 Kudos
AbelSantana
New Contributor
This error has been driving me INSANE!!!!!  All these comments about workspaces and stuff are not the issue, there is something in arcmap that is screwing up.

FIX:

Bring in an editable layer (i.e. shapefile, you cannot edit your raster).

Start editing.  And area solar radiation should work while you are in edit mode.

Be interested to hear if this is working for others.

I got my issues resolved using this method.

Originally I was getting the 999999 error trying the points to solar tool, once i tried it in editing mode it worked fine.
Then i stopped editing and tried after i disabled background processing it worked fine as well.

So it seems as if the background processing was the culprit!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: myrnostrum555

I got my issues resolved using this method.

Originally I was getting the 999999 error trying the points to solar tool, once i tried it in editing mode it worked fine.
Then i stopped editing and tried after i disabled background processing it worked fine as well.

So it seems as if the background processing was the culprit!

Ditto. Editing a layer fixed the problem. Weird, but I'll take it!
0 Kudos
MartaDiaz
New Contributor
Hi everybody!
I also had the same problem as you and i tried to change several times the data and finally i got where the problem is coming...you have to let the default path where ArcGis keep your output features... DONT GIVE YOUR OWN PATH!!! I hope it can be a help of you all...
SalmanAhmed3
New Contributor III

I agree that not changing the default output location (ArcGIS default) does the trick.

The above suggested method of using the editing environment worked for me at first but then started giving the same error. But the default location trick is still working perfect for me.

0 Kudos