Select to view content in your preferred language

Threshold Trade Area Analysis Error

08-25-2011 06:26 AM
PhillipSchmutz
Emerging Contributor
Hi everyone,

I am getting this error message [Failed to build rings. Error HRESUTL E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component] when I am trying to run a Threshold Trade Area Analysis.

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,

I am getting this error message [Failed to build rings. Error HRESUTL E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component] when I am trying to run a Threshold Trade Area Analysis.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you could provide any additional detail as to the store layer being used as well as the other parameter selections in the Threshold Rings tool that would help.  Also is this the first time using the tool or the first time it has produced an error.
0 Kudos
PhillipSchmutz
Emerging Contributor
If you could provide any additional detail as to the store layer being used as well as the other parameter selections in the Threshold Rings tool that would help.  Also is this the first time using the tool or the first time it has produced an error.

Usiel,

The error is occurring sporadically. I initially had no problems running a Threshold Trade Area Analysis prior to my initial post and then the error began to occur. It had also quit occurring for the past week and then all of a sudden when conducting the analysis it has begun to occur again. 
It occurs over multiple store layers. I am utilizing a custom Threshold Data Set, however, I have been able to utilize this data set before with no problems.

I have updated the Service Packs and am still receiving the error message.

Phillip
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Usiel,

The error is occurring sporadically. I initially had no problems running a Threshold Trade Area Analysis prior to my initial post and then the error began to occur. It had also quit occurring for the past week and then all of a sudden when conducting the analysis it has begun to occur again. 
It occurs over multiple store layers. I am utilizing a custom Threshold Data Set, however, I have been able to utilize this data set before with no problems.

I have updated the Service Packs and am still receiving the error message.

Phillip

Phillip,

Sounds like you you are selecting a non-BDS layer when being prompted in the 'Select the Threshold layer' drop down.  I attached a screen capture of mine.  If this is the case test using one of the Business Analyst data layers and see if this produces the error.  Also if you could provide me with any details as to the layer you are using.

Also try using the Threshold Areas trade area tool in ArcToolbox.  Often the gp tools will provide better error messages that might help in identifying the problem.

~jason
0 Kudos