Select to view content in your preferred language

Land Use Outreach - Land Use Inquiry: Parcels Intersect zones along their boundary?

Jump to solution
04-26-2024 01:18 PM
LaurenLee
New Contributor III

Is there any way to have the zone look up ignore zones that only touch the boundary when it intersects. (I won't espouse that my topology between my parcel layer and zoning layer is perfect, but it has been adjusted recently). It makes it confusing to the public to see multiple zoning designations appear in the results. 

Something in the configuration? An arcade expression? Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would use Arcade to bring the zoning into the parcel popup, that's what we do. And we run the intersection based on the parcel's centroid, to avoid the edges.

var zoning = FeatureSetByName($map, 'zoning')

var xs = Intersects(
  Centroid($feature),
  zoning
)

if ( Count(xs) > 0 ) {
  return First(xs)['zoning_code']
}

Mind you that a centroid may not actually be within a parcel if the shape is goofy. You can also do a negative buffer, like Buffer($feature, -10) to get a "shrunken" parcel, but that takes a bit more processing, where a centroid is nice and fast.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would use Arcade to bring the zoning into the parcel popup, that's what we do. And we run the intersection based on the parcel's centroid, to avoid the edges.

var zoning = FeatureSetByName($map, 'zoning')

var xs = Intersects(
  Centroid($feature),
  zoning
)

if ( Count(xs) > 0 ) {
  return First(xs)['zoning_code']
}

Mind you that a centroid may not actually be within a parcel if the shape is goofy. You can also do a negative buffer, like Buffer($feature, -10) to get a "shrunken" parcel, but that takes a bit more processing, where a centroid is nice and fast.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos