Select to view content in your preferred language

Please add ability to rename the Conservation Solution during deployment

07-15-2023 12:48 PM
MervynLotter
Regular Contributor

Currently, when deploying a Conservation Solution such as Wildlife Management, there is no option to change the name of the solution when it is being deployed. And you can therefore only deploy one solution per user in an organisation.

I support several protected areas and I would like to deploy several reserve specific solutions as the  biodiversity/threats differ significantly between the reserves.  Therefor please can you add the ability for me to provide a prefix before deploying the solution?  A few months ago an ArcGIS Pro script could be used to rename the deployments from ArcGIS Pro, but that is no longer possible as the solution is now 100% deployed within ArcGIS Online. 

This request may apply to several other solutions.

6 Comments
ChrisFox

@MervynLotter, it is possible today to deploy the same solution to the same user multiple times. To do this, from the Home tab of the gallery select the solution and click Deploy now. You can repeat this for the same solution. Each copy of a solution will be placed in its own folder in your content. For example the first time you deploy Wildlife Management it will be placed in a 'Wildlife Management' folder. The second time it will be placed in a 'Wildlife Management 1' folder and so on.

The items across the solutions will have the same name. This can make it difficult to search your content and uniquely identify the items associated with each deployment of the solution. To help with this we provide a geoprocessing tool that can be used to add a prefix or suffix to all the items associated with a solution after it is deployed. The blog post below describes how to get and use this tool:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-solutions-blog/add-a-prefix-or-suffix-to-all-items-deployed-wit...

MervynLotter

Dear Chris

Thank you very much for the feedback. I am able to confirm that I can indeed deploy another instance of a particular solution (Wildlife Observations in my case), I did not think that possible. However, I am still not able to rename it using a prefix to help keep track of the area it applies to.  Several months ago I had used the Solution Helper toolbox you referred to rename a solution, but the toolbox no longer works (I just tried again). Please check on your side, but it is my understanding that all the Solutions can now only be deployed from AGOL (and not via Pro anymore) and now ArcGIS Pro has lost the ability to rename them via the custom Toolbox. 

I still feel that my suggested idea would be of great assistance to many people using Soloutions going forward. 

Best wishes

Mervyn

ChrisFox

Hi @MervynLotter,

I just tested on version 3.1.2 of ArcGIS Pro with the Wildlife Management solution and found the Rename Solution Content tool in the Solution Helpers toolbox ran successfully and was able to add a prefix to all the item names. Could you share more details about the failure/error you are seeing? What version of Pro are you using and could you send a screenshot of the error you are getting and the parameters you are specifying in the tool?

Thanks,

-Chris

MervynLotter

Hi Chris

Thank you for checking. That is strange because I too am running ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2 and i downloaded the solution Helper yesterday (to make sure I had the latest version). 

When I open the tool, it does not recognise any on my solutions even though I am signed into my AGOL account. I even tried pasting in the Solution item ID but that did not work.   The screenshot just sows the empty tool parameter where it should be allowing me to select the solution from a drop-down list on the right. 

Image 002.jpg

I will try and test this on another computer.

Best wishes

Mervyn

MervynLotter

Hi Chris

I tried running the "Rename Solution Content" on a different computer and it worked as expected this time. I am not aware of any differences between these two computers in terms of software versions. 

Therefore it is still possible to run this tool from ArcGIS Pro, however, I do still think it would be of great benefit if a user can choose to rename a solution when deploying it.

Best wishes

Mervyn

DavidSmetana

Thanks Mervyn and Chris for the discussion and testing.  Enabling a name input for a Solution deployment within the Solutions app in AGOL is an excellent idea!