The history and future of the ArcGIS SDKs for .NET

07-11-2013 01:30 AM
25 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Release dates are always subject to some degree of change, but for the first full beta we are targeting end-Feb/early-March and the initial release is likely to be summer. There will be multiple Tech Workshops and Demo Theatres on the new SDK at the forthcoming Dev Summit in Palm Springs (and available after the event online).

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
charlesroberts3
New Contributor

I hate to dredge up an old thread, but I still cannot see how the new Runtime SDKs (I'm using .Net desktop) supports even the most rudimentary capability to allow an end user to load a raster product of their choice (of course limited to the set of supported formats) and simply display it as a raster without needing to perform a pre-processing step in ArcMap or Desktop. I have a customer who would like to be able to load say, for example, geotiff or ADRG products as they see fit. My temporary work-around has been to produce tile package format file using ArcMap, which can be loaded from disk files, and in fact work pretty well in terms of load and render performance, however, I have had to hand wave so far as to how they will be able to use other raster products at run time. So far addressing this question to support via my sales rep has come back with yes, it is possible with a standard level license to do this with the local server component. Please could you describe to me exactly how this is supported.

0 Kudos
charlesroberts3
New Contributor

Well since posting, I've found the Dynamic Service Layers Add Data sample, and I can load my .tif files. I will need to further investigate how make sure I'm using the pyramids or overviews, but it's a good starting point.

Thanks,

Charles

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Hi Charles,

Glad you have made progress adding raster/image data using DynamicLayer capability of the LocalMapService. It is worth bearing in mind that we are working on improved support for natively reading raster data as a first class layer type e.g. a "RasterLayer". We're expect to be able to include that in the next major release.

You might also like to consider investigating KML GroundOverlays as an option.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
CharlesRoberts2
New Contributor

Mike,

Glad to hear that’s in the works.  Ideally, I think the best solution for my application will be to provide a capability to read all supported raster formats, and, not unlike the “create pyramids” function, at the user’s discretion, generate the tiled map package at run time. This gives the user the flexibility to load a raster map on the fly, and also exploit the enhanced performance of the Local tiled map package, all without a dedicated server requirement.

Regards,

Charles

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Charles,

Indeed, the raster support will include directly reading a number of common formats such as TIFF without the need for the LocalServer/LocalServices and without the need to create packages or tile caches. Pyramids will just be read as part of reading the raster data and will dramatically improve the performance.

I should clarify - the raster support is on the the roadmap for the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos