Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Engine or ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF?

12-24-2013 08:19 PM
MohammadShahheydari
New Contributor
Hi
I'm new to ArcGIS Development, and I had some work on WPF,now I want to start developing my own application that support MVVM and Fully functionality WPF( like binding) and using custome control like treelike, stimulsoft and more,I figured out that ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF is not as complete as ArcGIS Engine,What Should I do?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
There is not a simple answer to your question.

If the Runtime has the functionality you require then you are better off using it because Engine is an end of life product.  If it does not, but Engine does, then you have little choice.

In essence, Runtime is replacing Engine.
0 Kudos
nakulmanocha
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi
I'm new to ArcGIS Development, and I had some work on WPF,now I want to start developing my own application that support MVVM and Fully functionality WPF( like binding) and using custome control like treelike, stimulsoft and more,I figured out that ArcGIS Runtime SDK for WPF is not as complete as ArcGIS Engine,What Should I do?

Anything specific are you looking to do using Engine which isn't available with Runtime? With Runtime you have options with Geometry Service, GP service and also SOE in case you absolutely have to use ArcObjects.
0 Kudos
MohammadShahheydari
New Contributor
Hi
Thank you
I want to use some Geometry services, for example we want to develop a application to supervising contractors, which if we want to know the cost of a part of the street reconstruction, we can click start and end point of the project and according to some tables, we could know the cost of reconstruction?
Or in the  case of Geometric network like electricity and tracing and editing them in ArcSDE or Schematic, Can I use WPF SDK?
What is the relation between WPF SDK and ArcSDE, Does it have a full support?
thank you very much
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

- You can access both online and local GeometryServer (use the GeometryService task with either a Url for an online service or the Url of a LocalGeometryService).

- You can edit simple features in File Geodatabases and Workgroup / Enterprise Geodatabases (ArcSDE)

- You can via the features which participate in a geometric network and perform traces on geometric networks but NOT edit them.

- You may be able to work with schematics if you have the ArcGIS Server Schematics extension - this might require the development of some client-side functionality.

- The WPF SDK fully supports ArcSDE - the functionality available is determined by the capabilities of feature services (whether working with an online feature service or a local feature service) - for more information see http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgis-rest-api/#/Feature_Service/02r3000000z2000000/.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
MohammadShahheydari
New Contributor
Thank you Mike
This was a amazing answer
About the Editing in Geometric Network ; Do you have a any special plan to add this functionality in the next release of Runtime?
As a Developer who don't know very much about the Arc Engine, Can I count on Runtime Generally, Consider I can write some code on my own?
How about it's extensibility, if I want to add some functionality on my own?
Is there any news about the release date of 10.2.2 Runtime?
Thank you very much
0 Kudos