Select to view content in your preferred language

Progressive load, Collector vs iOS SDK

06-25-2019 07:38 AM
SteveMiller4
New Contributor II

I'm working on an iOS app which is going to add company-specific functionality using the Collector app as the starting point. However, the way that the Collector app and the iOS app loads maps seems to be very different. The Collector app pre-loads the surrounding area so that it displays quickly, while the iOS SDK only begins to load items once they are get on the screen, meaning that there is a lag time before they are displayed, and they seem to be deleted as soon as they leave the screen. Is there some way to make the iOS SDK act more like the Collector app without going to full-on manual caching?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SteveMiller4
New Contributor II

Also all the layers are on the default .onInteractionCache

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Could you clarify if you mean the Collector App or the open source Data Collection repo on GitHub?

Neither of them do anything special to preload or retain tiles. Are you perhaps comparing raster tiles with vector tiles?

0 Kudos
SteveMiller4
New Contributor II

I'm talking about the Collector App vs the iOS SDK. On a windows laptop, the Collector App can load our web map's feature layer as fast as I can scroll. On the iOS SDK running on the simulator on a Mac laptop on the same wireless network, it takes ~3-4 seconds to load new symbols after scrolling. This is the case in both my custom app and the open source Data Collection app that mine is based on.

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Steve.

The only thing I would caution against is that the iOS simulator isn't a good test for a number of things, especially where any kind of rendering is concerned. I would recommend testing on an iOS device.

0 Kudos