Select to view content in your preferred language

How to get min and maxScale value

04-23-2024 05:47 AM
AjiteshUpadhyaya
New Contributor III

Hi Experts, 

I'm trying to cache the map, I'm using AGSExportTileCacheParameters and the method as exportTileCacheParametersWithAreaOfInterest. This method expects minScale and maxScale value. Can someone please tell me how to get these values correctly so that caching the map doesnt take much time? 

Also, can someone tell me how to set the zoom slider value(it also expects currentZoomLevel and maxLevelForCaching). 

Thanks in Adv, 

Ajitesh

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Ting
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Please see these lines in the Samples app

The minScale on a map view means how far you can zoom out. The maxScale on a tiled layer means how detailed the layer you can zoom into.

So, in order to limit the download file size, you can

• make the minScale value smaller, so the biggest displayable area is smaller, say to a city, or a state. e.g., 10^7 -> 10^5 means the map is zoomed in 100x.
  • make the maxScale value bigger, so the level of detail is less detailed.

Typically, setting the scales according to the level of detail you want is a recommended practice, so that the tiles are most efficiently used to their highest resolution.

Depending on your usecase, choose the min and max scale to make the download more efficient.

See this page for an understanding of how level of detail is related to the scales.

I'm not sure what the "zoom slider" is referring to, but you should get an idea from the above article.

0 Kudos