Select to view content in your preferred language

Collecting features with ArcGIS mobile?

03-04-2011 02:19 PM
JonathanGreenberg
New Contributor
Folks:

I was wondering if there is any way to digitize (collect) point, line and polygon features using the current version of ArcGIS mobile for iPhone (or the forthcoming Android version)?  We are looking for something like ArcPAD for the iPhone or Android, but all ArcGIS mobile for iOS appears to do right now is display maps, not allow for collecting features.  Am I missing something?  Thanks!

--j
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm not sure if you're referring to the API or the Application for iOS. So i'll answer for both -

API :

ArcGIS API for iOS v1.0 supports data collection using Feature Layers. Refer to the doc for more information. At the bottom of the doc, there is a link to a sample.

At v1.8, the API includes a Sketch Layer that makes it much easier for developers to create application that allow users to sketch (digitize) geometries. This can be used along with the Feature Layer to create new features or modify existing features.

v1.8 is in Public Beta right now. You can access it at http://betacommunity.esri.com using your ESRI global account.

Application :

The ArcGIS Application for iOS v1.5 is available in the App Store. This application includes support for collecting data. The app allows you to open Web Maps that are hosted on ArcGIS.com (or your private ArcGIS Servers). The Web Map must contain atleast one Feature Layer to enable the "Collect" functionality. A number of such sample Web Maps are available. You can find them under Find Maps > Gallery > Collection Samples when you launch the app.

Note, neither the API nor the App is meant as a replacement for ArcPad. ArcPad is very adept at capturing sophisticated edits with complex construction criteria and high-precision. Smartphones such as iPhone and Android are more suited for casual data collection.
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Regular Contributor
Thank you for that helpful information, Divesh. The information about the Collection Samples was particularly helpful.

Just a quick note: to collect / manipulate features with ArcGIS for iOS v1.5, you must have ArcGIS Server 10. It's a lot of work but you could also write your own code (maybe using another API) that stores features either on the phone itself or sends the features back to a server.
0 Kudos
RheaEsposito
New Contributor
Hi,

I am having trouble collecting features on the Windows Phone ArcGIS mobile app. "Collect features" is greyed out on my phone when I try to add a feature to personal web maps hosted on ArcGIS online, but I am able to add features to the collection sample maps with my phone. Why am I not able to do this with my own maps? As far as I can tell, I have feature layers in my web maps; in that I can add features to these layers in ArcGIS online.

Thanks
0 Kudos