addFeature vs. updateFeature

Jump to solution
01-08-2019 03:51 PM
MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

I'm updating some apps from runtime 2.5 to 100.4

It looks like the AGSGDBFeatureTable saveFeature method has been replaced by the AGSGeodatabaseFeatureTable addFeature and updateFeature methods.

Do I need to detect if the feature is "new" and use the appropriate add or update method now?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SuganyaBaskaran1
Esri Contributor

That is correct. For new features, you would first create a feature using one of the create methods on AGSGeodatabaseFeatureTable. Once created, you can add the feature to the table using the add method. 

For existing features, you typically get a reference to the feature first (query, identify etc), edit and call the update method. 

Hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SuganyaBaskaran1
Esri Contributor

That is correct. For new features, you would first create a feature using one of the create methods on AGSGeodatabaseFeatureTable. Once created, you can add the feature to the table using the add method. 

For existing features, you typically get a reference to the feature first (query, identify etc), edit and call the update method. 

Hope that helps. 

MichaelDavis3
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks - I have tons of generic edit views where I might have either a new or existing feature that is being edited.  Previously the saveFeature method worked fine for either, but I guess I'll have to use AGSGeodatabaseFeatureTable's canUpdateFeature to check if it is new (not updatable) or not and take the appropriate route.

Am I assuming correctly that a new feature will return a NO when I check with canUpdateFeature?

0 Kudos
SuganyaBaskaran1
Esri Contributor

Yes, it would. A feature created just exists in memory whereas an update operation is done on the table. canUpdateFeature would return true after you've added the feature to the table using add method. 

0 Kudos