Select to view content in your preferred language

Validating RouteName for Create Route

Jump to solution
09-27-2023 10:08 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Frequent Contributor

Using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3 with ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0 (soon to be upgraded to 11.1) the field for RouteName on the Create Route tool dialog allows me to type any text up to 255 characters.

We use the values in RouteName for a few Attribute Rules triggered when Create Route is run.

Is there any way to validate the text entered into RouteName prior to Create Route being run so that values which will break an Attribute Rule cannot reach it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon There are 2 primary use cases to Route creation and my notes on how I see this worked out.

1. Route bulk load: This may employ 'Append Route' tool or other data loading tools. A best practice is to prepare and QC the source data (typically in a file geodatabase where schema is exact match to the target enterprise GDB). I have helped users come up with QC routines and automation on the source fGDB prior to the load. This takes care of load fails, LRS errors and issues like your example.
  2. Create Individual Route: This uses the Create Route tool and offers interactive wizard based steps. Although the tool is simple, I coach users to be prepared with all the relevant details to build the route. Entering key attributes like Route Names, Measures should be a well thought out process. This is mostly handled through end-user training and awareness. QC routines developed for method #1 may also be used as guardrails; user can create the route in fGDB, validate and then re-create the route.     
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately, the underlying API calls to applyEdits does not occur until after you click Run. Therefore, you'll need to consider alternative methods to validate/construct your Route Name field.

amit@esri  | Transportation LRS Team

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @AmitHazra 

I thought that was likely to be the case.

- Graeme

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon There are 2 primary use cases to Route creation and my notes on how I see this worked out.

1. Route bulk load: This may employ 'Append Route' tool or other data loading tools. A best practice is to prepare and QC the source data (typically in a file geodatabase where schema is exact match to the target enterprise GDB). I have helped users come up with QC routines and automation on the source fGDB prior to the load. This takes care of load fails, LRS errors and issues like your example.
  2. Create Individual Route: This uses the Create Route tool and offers interactive wizard based steps. Although the tool is simple, I coach users to be prepared with all the relevant details to build the route. Entering key attributes like Route Names, Measures should be a well thought out process. This is mostly handled through end-user training and awareness. QC routines developed for method #1 may also be used as guardrails; user can create the route in fGDB, validate and then re-create the route.     
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @AyanPalit

Your Route Bulk Load sounds similar to the code I developed for our initial data load via a file geodatabase, and I've adapted that to perform subsequent bulk data loads.

Your Create Individual Route sounds like what I need for the current use case.  If you had any code for that which could be shared it would be useful but, in the absence of that, I think the advice "to be prepared with all the relevant details to build the route" and having a route editor "create the route in fGDB, validate and then re-create the route" using a tiny "bulk" load might be the way for me to go.

- Graeme

0 Kudos