Creating passing loop on line that spans multiple routes

Jump to solution
07-20-2022 10:23 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I have railroad requirements to:

1. model routes along a Line as one Route per "kilometre" when each "kilometre" can be up to, equal to or exceeding 1,000 metres in length (but in practice seems never to exceed more than about 1,500 metres).  I refer to these as KM Routes and am modelling strings of them as Lines.
  2. create passing loops that can start in one KM Route and end in another KM Route perhaps several kilometres later.

In the picture below you can see the end of the 17KM route, all of the 18KM route and the start of the 19KM route.  Then into the Centerline feature class I have sketched a passing lane that I want to create from 500m along the 17KM route to 500m along the 19KM route.  I do this using the Split construction method for polylines so that intersections are created leaving ends I can select and delete.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1658379343002.png

In the next picture I've about to click Run to create a new route on the trimmed new Centerline:

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_3-1658380087243.png

That works fine to create this:

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_4-1658380134031.png

Now the business rule is that the new route (which I named TEST_9999KM) must be split into 3 KM Routes:

1. TEST_0017KM which starts at 500m and goes to 1,000m along TEST_9999KM
  2. TEST_0018KM which starts at 1,000m and goes to 2,000m along TEST_9999KM
  3. TEST_0019KM which starts at 2,000m and goes to the end of TEST_9999KM

I think that I should be able to do this using Reassign in the Routes group of the Location Referencing ribbon tab so I'll try to do TEST_0017KM first (with an Effective Date of tomorrow):

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_6-1658380666785.png

However, when I click Next and Run I get an error of "Reassign Route failed unexpectedly."

Why is that?

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_7-1658380795815.png

Note that the fields under the error on the last picture are some that I added to the LRSNetwork feature class after creating it. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

I am confident, without yet retesting, that the solution to this will be the same as for Solved: Reassign Route failed unexpectedly on simple route... - Esri Community i.e. the problem is due to me using an LRS dataset and network in a Geographic Coordinate System without have densified the polylines.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

I am confident, without yet retesting, that the solution to this will be the same as for Solved: Reassign Route failed unexpectedly on simple route... - Esri Community i.e. the problem is due to me using an LRS dataset and network in a Geographic Coordinate System without have densified the polylines.

0 Kudos