Select to view content in your preferred language

Split Centerline By Measure => Split point results in a zero length polyline

Jump to solution
07-20-2022 10:34 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

To workaround the issue encountered in Creating passing loop on line that spans multiple ... - Esri Community I decided to abandon using the Reassign tool in the Routes group, and instead to use the Split Centerlines By Measure tool to split the underlying Centerline into three new centerlines, create a new route on each, and then retire the original route.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1658381445705.png

However, when I Run the tool, I get "Split point results in a zero length polyline."

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_1-1658381556028.png

Why is that?

I get the same error even if I create and then try to split a simple test route in amongst my real data:

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1659333775016.png

and yet the Split Centerline By Measure tool seems to work OK when I try it on a test dataset at Reassign Route failed unexpectedly on simple route... - Esri Community.

Both the real and test datasets are using"GCS_GDA_1994" as their spatial reference and use similar coordinate values.

I have a suspicion that there is an editing setting coming into play because I seem to be able to Split Centerline By Measure when the scale is around 1:1,000 but I get "Split point results in a zero length polyline" when it's around 1:10,000.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

The solution to this was the same as for Solved: Reassign Route failed unexpectedly on simple route... - Esri Community i.e. I am using a Geographic Coordinate System (GCS_GDA_1994) and therefore I need to densify the lines I create.  After I did that using the Densify tool the Split Centerline By Measure had no problems.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon

The solution to this was the same as for Solved: Reassign Route failed unexpectedly on simple route... - Esri Community i.e. I am using a Geographic Coordinate System (GCS_GDA_1994) and therefore I need to densify the lines I create.  After I did that using the Densify tool the Split Centerline By Measure had no problems.

0 Kudos